ADOPTION AND SALES
The BLM works to place excess animals into private care through its Adoption and Sales Programs as well as successful partnerships with organizations across the nation. Many have found it personally challenging and rewarding to adopt or purchase a wild horse or burro. It is a chance to care for, and then own, a part of America’s heritage.
The BLM has placed nearly 290,000 wild horses and burros into private care since 1971. Many of those animals have become excellent pleasure, show, or work horses.
Learn more about:
- How to adopt or purchase a wild horse or burro
- Adoption Incentive Program
- Off-range corral adoption and purchase locations
- Wild horse and burro adoption and sale events
- Visiting and adopting or purchasing from a public off-range pasture
- Sale Program
- Frequently asked questions
Adoption Success Stories
Adopt or purchase a wild horse or burro from one of BLM's permanent off-range corral locations.
- Litchfield Wild Horse and Burro Off-Range Corral
- Ridgecrest Regional Wild Horse and Burro Corrals
- R3C (Rio Cosumnes Correctional Center)