Oregon/Washington Public Room
If you are looking for information about a specific area of BLM land in Oregon or Washington, or to report an event on Public Land, please reference the field office boundaries map first to determine which local office has jurisdiction over the area. Then contact that local office first: BLM offices in Oregon and Washington
The Public Room is open for in-person timed visits beginning November 1, 2023. To visit, please secure an appointment prior to arriving by leaving a message or sending an email using our contact information below.
Appointment times are limited to Tuesday or Thursday between 10 am to 4 pm.
The public room telephone and email messages are checked and returned during normal business hours Monday through Friday.
Oregon-Washington State Office
Bureau of Land Management
Edith Green-Wendell Wyatt Federal Building, 11th Floor
1220 S.W. 3rd Avenue
Portland, OR 97204
Records and Information Available
Land Record Copies Including:
Copies of Cadastral Survey Records Including:
Copies from Case Files for:
- Mining Claims and Sites
An informational brochure can be found at: https://www.blm.gov/sites/default/files/PublicRoom_Mining_Claims_Brochure-2019.pdf
Mineral and Land Record System (MLRS)
We encourage the filing of new claims, payment of maintenance fees and the submission of mining claim filings online through the Mineral and Land Records System (MLRS) at https://mlrs.blm.gov/s/.
A couple quick notes on using the MLRS system:
- Maintenance Fee Waiver Certifications (waivers) should not be filed in MLRS. It will allow you to create the filing, but it will be rejected unless we receive the original document with the required information on or before the deadline.
- If you are paying maintenance fees in MLRS, you are not required to upload any maintenance fee payment forms.
- For all other filings, a document is required and may be uploaded to MLRS or sent to our office by regular mail.
- If you wait until the last couple weeks before the deadline to file in MLRS – there will be delays and hiccups in the system. Contact our office if you suspect a problem or encounter issues.
- We recommend customers log into the system 24 hours after your transaction to ensure it was processed.
How do I pay the maintenance fees or submit filings in MLRS?
- Log into MLRS.
- Select the appropriate filing or payment from the 'Take Action' menu.
- Select one or multiple claims that require maintenance fees, the system will calculate the total amount due for the claim(s) selected.
- Follow the prompts on the screen to upload documents and/or enter the payment information.
Maintenance Fees and Annual Filings
The annual reminder will be sent by email through the Mineral and Land Records System (MLRS). Also, by enrolling in the system, you will receive email updates as documents are received, processed, and accepted.
Oregon-Washington claimants also have the option to purchase county specific forms through a third party vendor, Stevens-Ness Law Publishing Co.
BLM Forms are available online at: https://www.blm.gov/services/electronic-forms by clicking on the title fluid and solid minerals, mining claims, and scrolling down the list by form number.
- 3830-002 Maintenance Fee Waiver Certification
- 3830-004 Affidavit of Annual Assessment Work
- 3830-005 Maintenance Fee Payment Form for Lode Claims, Mill Sites, and Tunnel Sites
- 3830-005a Maintenance Fee Payment Form for Placer Mining Claims
- Notice of Intent to Hold
- Mining Claim Packet
Please contact the Public Room if you want forms mailed to you.
The Office of Hearings and Appeals (OHA), Interior Board of Land Appeals (IBLA) is the delegated authority to conduct hearings and decide appeals from decisions issued by the Bureau of Land Management. Form 1842-001 explains the appeal process for decisions issued by the Oregon-Washington State Office.
BondingPlease refer to the information handout discussing the bonding process for hard rock mines on public lands.
- Maps & Publications
Oregon/Washington Maps: https://www.blm.gov/maps/frequently-requested/oregon-washington
State of Oregon Large 500k Wall Map $15.00 (includes shipping):
State of Washington Large, 500k Wall Map $15.00 (includes shipping):
For more information on Surface Management Maps (100k $4.00) and the Pacific Northwest Recreation Map Series, please visit https://www.blm.gov/maps/frequently-requested/oregon-washington/pacific-northwest-recreation-map-series.
- Land Records
The BLM OR/WA Land Records site provides online access to our Master Title Plats, Historical Indices, and Survey Plats.
OR/WA BLM Land Records and Survey Information: https://www.blm.gov/or/landrecords/survey/ySrvy1.php
BLM General Land Office Records: https://glorecords.blm.gov/default.aspx
GLO Records Land Catalog: https://glorecords.blm.gov/LandCatalog/Catalog
Reporting Applications: https://reports.blm.gov/
Explanatory township: https://www.blm.gov/or/landrecords/files/MTP_Help.pdf
LR2000 Case Type Code Reference Material: https://reports.blm.gov/content/lr2000/reference-codes/
BLM OR/WA Land Records Abbreviations: https://www.blm.gov/or/landrecords/files/abbreviations.pdf
- GIS Viewers/Data
BLM OR/WA External Data Viewer: https://apps.geocortex.com/webviewer/?app=36678252db204f2b86506fe9579fca14
BLM Geospatial Business Platform Hub: https://gbp-blm-egis.hub.arcgis.com/
America the Beautiful Pass: https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/passes
Northwest Forest Pass: the US Forest Service, Region 6, pass is no longer sold at the Oregon State Office. For additional information please visit the website at: https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/r6/passes-permits/recreation/?cid=fsbdev2_027010.
Site Reservations: to reserve a site for an upcoming trip, visit http://www.recreation.gov or contact the site directly to make a reservation.
Recreation Permits and Fees: https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/permits-and-fees
Recreation Program: https://www.blm.gov/programs/recreation/recreation-programs
Through the following searchable public room list, find and download our frequently requested documents, brochures, maps, activity books, and more.