The BLM issues Permits for Archeological Investigation (PAIs) to individuals or organization that would like to perform research, studies, or fieldwork on BLM-managed public lands.

Permits are issued to individuals and organizations that have the appropriate education, experience, and capability to perform professionally acceptable cultural resources studies. By issuing a permit, the BLM can ensure compliance with all applicable laws and policies.

When specific projects are proposed, applicants who already possess a CRUP must also obtain a Fieldwork Authorization (FA) from the BLM Field Office where the fieldwork will take place. 

BLM State Archaeological Permits (Fieldwork, ARPA) are typically administered by the Deputy Preservation Officers (DPOs). Please contact the appropriate DPO for the state you plan to conduct work.