Rogue River News & Updates
New Rogue River Website
- The BLM has updated the Rogue River Website. The new address is www.blm.gov/rogueriver.
Smullin Visitor Center at Rand/Rogue River Permit Office
- Closed for the season.
- The off season for noncommercial boaters to float the Wild Rogue River is October 16 through May 14. Free self-issue permits are available outside the entrance of Smullin Visitor Center at Rand, and at the entrance of Grave Creek Boat access. The white copy of the completed self-issue permit can be deposited in a drop box at either location. The green copy must be retained by the Party Leader and displayed upon request of any authorized official. Portable toilets and firepans are required year around.
- The 2017 River Permit lottery will open on December 1, 2016 through January 31, 2017.
- Smullin Visitor Center business hours: May 5th-October 15th at 7:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m. Phone Access Hours: May 5th-October 15th, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, seven days a week.
- For questions please contact Grants Pass BLM at 541-471-6500 or by email at BLM_OR_MD_Rogue_River_Mail@blm.gov.
Rogue River (Wild Section) Pit Toilet Update
- Current Toilets OPEN:
- Rainie Falls (north)
- Rainie Falls (south)
- Big Windy Creek
- Little Windy Creek
- Meadow Creek
- Long Gulch
- Mule Creek (east)
- Mule Creek (west)
- North Gleason
- Half Moon Bar (3 sites, 2 toilets)
- Brushy Bar
- Lower Solitude
- Camp Tacoma (3 sites, 1 toilet)
When an open toilet becomes full, the pit will be filled and the structure dismantled, restoring the resource to its natural character.
Rogue River Fire Regulations Update
- FIREPANS REQUIRED: For all fires within 400 ft. of the river.
- All charcoal, ashes, and debris must be packed out.
- No debris burning in piles or in burn barrels.
- No fireworks on forestlands.
- Tracer ammunition and exploding targets may not be used on forestlands or in any other wildland area.
- Sky lanterns are disallowed.
- For more details, see the Fire Precautions web page.
Rogue River Ranch Renovation
- During construction the museum will be inaccessible: the main house complex will be fenced to ensure the safety of visitors during all construction activities. The project is expected to be completed by the end of October 2016.
Wild Rogue River Commercial and Noncommercial Permit Guidelines
All Wild Section Rogue River boaters are asked to review one of the Wild Rogue River Permit Guideline Videos before going on their Wild Section Rogue River float trip. This includes Commercial and Noncommercial boaters.
Rogue River Ranch and Smullin Visitor Center at Rand
- Drinking water NOT available until further notice.
Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit
- Oregon requires an Aquatic Invasive Species Prevention Permit for all manually powered boats ten feet or longer. Permits can be purchased online or at ODFW License Agents and ODFW Offices.
How to Get a Wild Rogue Noncommercial Float Permit
- Visit the How to get a Permit page for additional options to get a float permit after the lottery process and keep a lookout for cancellations on the Float Space Openings page.
- If you were successful in the lottery a 2016 Winner Letter with enclosures (PDF) has been sent to the party leader. This letter includes important information regarding the permit and floating on the river. You can view the individual documents on the Rogue River Permits page. They have been revised and updated for the 2016 season.
- Smullin Visitor Center Phone Access Hours: May 5th–October 15th, 8:00 am to 3:00 pm, seven days a week.