IN PERSON ADOPTION EVENTS ARE BACK!
The next adoption is scheduled for Saturday, June 26, 2021 - Scroll to the bottom of the page to view the current and past catalogs!
Northern Nevada Correctional Center Wild Horse Training Facility
The Northern Nevada Correctional Center/Stewart Conservation Camp Saddle Horse and Burro Training Program is a cooperative partnership between the Bureau of Land Management and the Nevada Department of Corrections-Silver State Industries. The NNCC is not only a holding facility with a capacity of up to 2,000 animals but it also has a training program where they utilize inmates to train wild horses to make available to the public for adoption. Because the facility is a correctional center, it is a closed facility yet does opens to the public a few times a year during the public adoption events.
Through this training program, wild horses and burros are gentled and trained before being adopted. About 60-80 wild horses and burros are trained and adopted at the facility each year. Each wild horse or burro receives approximately 120 days of training, but they are still “green-broke.” They will need daily training and handling by an experienced rider when they arrive at their new home.
The program holds 3-4 adoptions each year and all wild horses and burros are offered through a competitive-bid adoption conducted by an auctioneer. There is plenty of time to preview the wild horses and burros and talk to their trainers before each adoption starts. Each wild horse or burro is only offered for adoption once during each event. This is an adoption, not a sale. The adopter must take proper care of the wild horse or burro for one year and at that time can apply for title. Once the title is issued the wild horse or burro will then belong to the adopter.
To be qualified to bid, each potential adopter must fill out an adoption application prior to bidding. You must complete all the required fields and bring it with you on the day of the adoption, or you can fill out the adoption application the morning of the event. Once your adoption application has been reviewed and approved by a BLM staff person, you will be issued a bidder card and be eligible to bid.
- June 26, 2021 Adoption Catalog
- February 22, 2020 Adoption Catalog / Results of the Adoption
- October 19, 2019 Adoption Catalog / Results of the Adoption
- June 8, 2019 Adoption Catalog / Results of the Adoption
- March 30, 2019 Adoption Catalog / Results of the Adoption
- October 20, 2018 Adoption Catalog / Results of the Adoption
- June 2, 2018 Adoption Catalog / Results of the Adoption
- February 24, 2018 Adoption Catalog / Results of the Adoption
- October 14, 2017 Adoption Catalog
- White Pine County Fair, August 18-19 Adoption Catalog
- June 10, 2017 Adoption Catalog
- February 25, 2017 Adoption Catalog