The Little Sahara Recreation Area will move to Phase II on Thursday, May 21, to align with Governor Gary R. Herbert’s Utah Leads Together 2.0 Plan Low Risk Phase and the Central Utah Public Health Department’s new public health order.
Click here to keep up to date on changes to facilities and services in Utah in response to Coronavirus (COVID-19).
The BLM Utah State Office is closed until further notice. We will post updates on our social media and website as they are available.
Sand Cove Camping Permit
A small 12 site campground is located inside the National Conservation Area. Information on the campground can be obtained from the Red Cliffs Campground website.
Camping is limited to a maximum of 7 consecutive days in any one area and is not allowed at trailheads. Other restrictions vary depending on the Use Zone.
Camping is allowed only in the Red Cliffs Campground.
Dispersed camping is allowed throughout the Upland Zone with the exception of the Babylon/Sandstone Mountain area. Camping in Babylon/Sandstone area is allowed only in the Sand Cove Primitive Camping area and requires a permit.
Sand Cove Primitive Camping Area
Located approximately 20 miles from St. George, it can only be reached by high clearance, 4 wheel drive vehicles. There are no amenities of any kind, but a free permit is required. Camping at Sand Cove has the following restrictions: group size is limited to 20 people, camping is limited to a maximum of 7 consecutive days, and each group must provide their own portable toilet facilities. Other restrictions apply (see permit application for more details).
- Obtain a free permit application on-line or in person.
- Submit the completed application to the St. George Field Office a minimum of 3 days before your use date.
- Pick-up your permit on-line or in person
Submitting an Application On-line
- Download an application to your computer.
- Fill out the fillable PDF application on your computer.
- Attach the completed form to an e-mail.
- Send the e-mail to email@example.com with “Sand Cove Camping Permit” in the subject line.
Submitting an Application In Person
- Download an application or pick up one at the St. George Field Office.
- Fill out the form in ink.
- Drop it off at the St. George Field Office or mail it to: St. George Field Office, 345 E. Riverside Dr., St. George, UT 84790.
NOTE: No same day walk-in permits will be processed.