Pompeys Pillar staircase and boardwalk closed. The Bureau of Land Management Billings Field Office is restricting access to the staircase and boardwalk that leads to the top of Pompeys Pillar.
The Entrance Gate is closed to vehicles Oct – April (Walk-ins welcome year-round). The Interpretive Center is closed Oct – April (Trails and Vault Toilets open year-round).
Pompeys Pillar National Monument
BLM RESTRICTS ACCESS TO PORTIONS OF POMPEYS PILLAR NATIONAL MONUMENT
The Bureau of Land Management Billings Field Office is restricting access to the staircase and boardwalk that leads to the top of Pompeys Pillar. The restrictions will be in place while the BLM completes an analysis and stabilization of the pillar’s outcroppings. Visitors will be restricted from using the boardwalk until further notice.
The monument and adjacent BLM lands will remain open during this time.
For more information about the area restrictions or for general information about Pompeys Pillar call (406) 896-5013.
Pompeys Pillar contains the signature of Captain William Clark of the Lewis and Clark Expedition. Clark’s inscription is the expedition’s only remaining physical evidence visible on the Corp of Discovery’s trail. An interpretive center at the site recounts Clark’s journey through the Yellowstone Valley in 1806. The Pillar overlooks the Yellowstone River about 25 miles east of Billings, Montana.
The Pillar overlooks the Yellowstone River about 25 miles east of Billings, Montana. The area is easily accessible from Interstate 94, using exit 23, or from Montana Highway 312. The Pillar is a sandstone butte or mesa and covers about two acres at its base and stands about 150 feet high. Because it is the only sandstone outcrop on the south side of the Yellowstone River for several miles in either direction, it has been a landmark for centuries.
Pompeys Pillar, MT 59064