Ensuring Preparedness - Single Engine Air Tankers and Firefighters Train to Ensure Wildfire Readiness
BLM Arizona’s Gila District is the host to the Safford Air Operations Center located at the airport in Safford. This Air Operations Center plays a very important role during the peak of Arizona’s fire activity by having the ability to support multiple aviation resources, more specifically Single Engine Airtankers. A single engine airtanker, or SEAT, is the smallest airtanker. These aircraft can deliver up to 800 gallons of fire retardant or water to wildland firefighters on the ground and are ideal for wildfires in lighter fuels like grasses and light brush.
Recently, SEATs based at the Safford Air Operations Center performed a mission currency flight, which allows the SEAT pilots to test and display performance and functionality of the aircraft. They performed this session much like a live training scenario with a simulated fire which included the local Gila District fire engines and firefighters based in Safford. "It was an excellent opportunity for the firefighters to go through the process of requesting an aviation resource from dispatch, for the SEAT pilots to receive the dispatch order, respond to the incident, and communicate with Tucson Dispatch Center," said Gila District Unit Aviation Manager Ty Gilstrap. "This training opportunity allowed the Safford SEATs to practice coordinating with firefighters on the ground – testing both air to air communication between the pilots and air-to-ground communication and protocols as, well as ensuring preparedness for a wildfire," said Arizona State Aviation Manager Don Juan Kilmer.
All resources involved in the exercise met up at the Air Operations Center upon completion of the flight and facilitated an After-Action Review (AAR), allowing the firefighters and pilots to speak with each other to help improve operations and be mission ready. Overall, it was an excellent training experience for everyone involved! Great job Gila District on seeing and taking the opportunity for continued training and ensuring readiness.
- North Hills Fire Fence Re-construction Project
- Honoring our fallen firefighters by increasing situational awareness
- Phoenix District completes major trash cleanup effort
- Serving Our Communities: BLM Blanding East Fuels Project
- BLM promotes agave restoration to support bat conservation within Las Cienegas NCA
Most Recent Stories
- Earth Connections Camp: Connecting cultures and bridging worlds through nature
- All in a day's walk: Sage-grouse in summer
- Federal and Tribal leaders formalize agreement for cooperative management of Bears Ears National Monument
- Garden Island, Michigan
- BLM Alaska Public Rooms: A One-stop shop to your public lands