Baldy Mountain Recreational Shooting Site
Baldy Mountain is a semi-developed recreational shooting sports site. The focused recreational shooting sports activity at this site is long-range rifle shooting. No pistols, shotguns, or other types of firearms are permitted. You may not bring your own targets to the site.
The area includes these amenities:
- fixed, 24-inch steel targets with developed backstops
- 100-, 200-, 300-, 400- and 500-yard shooting lanes
- gravel shooting platform
- accessible parking space
- gravel parking area
- walking path between parking area and shooting platform
- information signs and kiosk
- trash and brass receptacles
Jan. 28-April 21: Open 7 am to 6 pm
April 22-Aug. 26: Open 7 am to 7 pm
Aug. 27-Oct. 7: Open 7 am to 6 pm
Oct. 8-Jan. 27: Open 7 am to 5 pm
The site will be closed each Wednesday for maintenance and cleaning.
Total maximum site occupancy at Baldy Mountain is 25 people.
Emergencies: Call 911
You may only use a site during designated operating hours as posted at each site, listed on the BLM’s website, and consistent with State law.
- You may not enter a site for any purpose other than activities associated with recreational shooting.
- Do not enter the hazardous exclusion area.
- Inside the designated recreation area, you may only discharge a firearm from a designated firing platform towards an authorized target with a developed or designated backstop. Hunting within the recreation area is permitted under State regulations.
- Never discharge a firearm or any other projectile device when someone is beyond the firing line.
- Do not exceed the maximum occupancy posted at each site.
- Keep off all buildings and structures, whether they are occupied or unoccupied.
- Do not engage in disorderly conduct.
- Do not leave any personal property unattended.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult while in a site.
- You may not use, possess, consume, or be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances as defined by State law, Federal law, or both.
- Do not shoot at wildlife, livestock, or vegetation.
- Clean up after yourself and your pets.
Targets are fixed steel targets that are not reachable by the public. You may not bring your own targets to the site.
Rifles are restricted to ammunition that is .50 caliber or less. Steel core, armor-piercing, incendiary, and tracer ammunition and paintball equipment is prohibited.
Baldy Mountain Recreational Shooting Sports Site is north of Phoenix in Maricopa County, about 2.5 miles west of Lake Pleasant via Castle Hot Springs Road.
- From Phoenix, drive north on Interstate 17.
- Take exit 223A to State Route 74 (Carefree Highway).
- Turn left (west) and follow SR-74 for about 12 miles to Castle Hot Springs Road.
- Turn right (north) onto Castle Hot Springs Road and follow it about 2.4 miles.
- The turnout for Baldy Mountain will be on the left.
Accessibility Description (ABA/ADA)