Box Canyon Recreational Shooting Site
Box Canyon is a semi-developed recreational shooting sports site with long-range rifle, shotgun, and pistol bays.
The area includes these amenities:
- 50-, 100-, 200- and 300-yard shooting lanes with fixed steel targets
- sporting clay/skeet shooting area
- shooting platforms
- gravel parking areas
- accessible parking spaces
- information signs and kiosks
- vault toilets
- trash receptacles
More shooting bays are planned for the site.
Jan. 28-April 21: Open 7 am to 6 pm
April 22-Aug. 26: Open 7 am to 7 pm
Aug. 27-Oct. 7: Open 7 am to 6 pm
Oct. 8-Jan. 27: Open 7 am to 5 pm
The site will be closed on Wednesdays for maintenance and cleaning.
Total maximum site occupancy at Box Canyon is 90 people.
Emergencies: Call 911
- You may only use a site during designated operating hours as posted at each site, listed on the BLM’s website, and consistent with State law.
- You may not enter a site for any purpose other than activities associated with recreational shooting.
- Do not enter the hazardous exclusion area.
- Inside the designated recreation area, you may only discharge a firearm from a designated firing platform towards an authorized target with a developed or designated backstop. Hunting within the recreation area is permitted under State regulations.
- Never discharge a firearm or any other projectile device when someone is beyond the firing line.
- Keep off all buildings and structures, whether they are occupied or unoccupied.
- Do not exceed the maximum occupancy posted at each site.
- Children under 16 must be accompanied by a responsible adult while in a site.
- Do not leave any personal property unattended.
- You may not use, possess, consume, or be under the influence of alcohol or controlled substances as defined by State law, Federal law, or both.
- Do not engage in disorderly conduct.
- Do not shoot at wildlife, livestock, or vegetation.
- Clean up after yourself and your pets.
- The pistol and long-range bays have fixed steel targets installed. You may not use your own targets in the shooting bays.
- Clay targets are allowed in the sporting clay/skeet area.
Rifles and handguns are restricted to ammunition that is .50 caliber or less. You may use common shotgun ammunition, such as birdshot, buckshot, and slugs. Sporting clay and skeet ranges are restricted to birdshot only. Steel core, armor-piercing, incendiary, and tracer ammunition and paintball equipment is prohibited.
Fireworks, exploding targets such as Tannerite, and other incendiary devices are prohibited on all BLM Arizona-managed public lands year-round.
Accessibility Description (ABA/ADA)
There are three paved accessible parking spots at the site. Toilets are wheelchair accessible. Shooting platforms are unpaved.
Box Canyon Recreational Shooting Sports Site is in Pinal County west of Maricopa.
- From the City of Maricopa, travel west on State Route 238 about 6.5 miles.
- Turn left (south) on Rio Bravo Road for 4.7 miles. Rio Bravo Road becomes Hidden Valley Road.
- The site is on the west side of Hidden Valley Road.