Piedras Blancas Light Station Outstanding Natural Area is part of the California Coastal National Monument. Located on a rugged windswept point of land six miles north of Hearst Castle along California's scenic Highway One, the Lighthouse was first illuminated in 1875 and today beckons the visitor for respite from the modern world.
The Light Station is named for the distinctive white rocks that loom just offshore. These rocks and the rugged shoreline are home to seabirds, sea lions and elephant seals. Over 70 native plant species can be found on the 19 acres surrounding the Light Station.
The BLM manages the Piedras Blancas Light Station as a historic park and wildlife sanctuary.
Access to Piedras Blancas is by guided tours only. Tours are offered year round, and feature cultural and natural history, as well as spectacular scenery.