Bureau of Land Management Social Media Commenting Policy
You are encouraged to share your comments, ideas, and concerns. Note that information, including personally identifiable information, that you voluntarily submit to or publish on a Bureau of Land Management page on a third party site may be treated as public information and archived accordingly in order to abide with applicable laws. If you choose to engage with the BLM through a blog or comment feature on a third-party social media website or application, the BLM reserves the right to moderate, remove or reject (not post) comments that contain:
- Social Security Numbers, home or business addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, or other personally identifiable information (PII);
- Vulgar or abusive language;
- Personal attacks of any kind;
- Offensive terms that target specific groups;
- Spam or comments that are clearly “off topic”;
- Commercial promotions;
- Solicitation of funds;
- Information that promotes or opposes any political party, person campaigning for elected office or any ballot proposition;
- Reports of criminal or suspicious activity – if you have information for law enforcement, please contact your local policy agency;
- Unsolicited proposals or other business ideas or inquiries;
- Solicitations for contracting or commercial business;
- Classified or proprietary information, or information protected by other statutory or regulatory regimes (e.g., intellectual property; copyrighted materials; licensed materials; privacy protected information; etc.);
- Any claims, demands, informal or formal complaints, or any other form of legal and/or administrative notices or processes;
- Duplicate posts; or
- Embedded links to external websites or applications.
The BLM does not discriminate against any views, but reserves the right to remove or reject (not post) comments that do not adhere to these standards.
In addition, the views expressed by members of the public on official pages maintained by the BLM on third-party social media websites and applications do not reflect the official views of the BLM or the U.S. government nor does the BLM guarantee the accuracy of such information posted by members of the public on those websites.