Dunes Off-Highway Vehicle Area
More than 800 acres of fun is waiting for off-road enthusiasts at the Dunes Vehicle Recreation Area south of Farmington. The off-highway vehicle area contains a wide variety of topography including large sand dunes, steep to gentle hillsides, and sandy arroyo bottoms. Innumerable roads and trails exist in the Dunes, created by nearly 40 years of off-road vehicle use. The diverse landscape attracts a variety of motorized activity and provides riders a place to play, test their endurance, and improve their skills.
KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- Open year-round.
- The road may become impassible in bad weather.
- Recreation area may be closed to the public for short periods during authorized events.
- Ride only in areas open for use; private property and tribal lands are adjacent to the Dunes Vehicle Recreation Area. Be a responsible user and stay within the boundaries of the recreation area.
- Firewood gathering is prohibited.
- Shooting is prohibited.
- Permits are required for commercial, competitive and organized group events.
Active gas wells exist in the Dunes Vehicle Recreation Area. Be safe and stay away from well pads, pipelines, and oilfield equipment. Watch for traffic and heavy trucks.
The Dunes Vehicle Recreation Area is about 1.5 miles south of the City of Farmington on NM 371.