Following guidance from the CDC and recommendations from state and local public health authorities, the Tres Rios Field Office is temporarily restricting in-person access to Canyon of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum. Please call the office for customer services that may be available by phone, email or in-person at 970-882-5600. Visitors may still continue to enjoy the BLM trails and open space areas of the monument.
Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum is Southwest Colorado's premier archaeological museum, operated by the Bureau of Land Management since 1988. All museum facilities are wheelchair-accessible.
Canyons of the Ancients Visitor Center and Museum is a museum focusing on Ancestral Puebloan, Native American, and historic cultures in the Four Corners region. It is also headquarters for visitors traveling to Canyons of the Ancients National Monument.
The museum features:
- Permanent exhibits on archaeology, local history and Native American cultures
- Two 12th-century archaeological sites (Ask a volunteer about the visiting these sites just outside of the museum.)
- Special exhibits and events
- Educational resources for teachers
- Internships for enrolled and recently graduated college students
- Research library of archaeology and anthropology resources
- Research collection of more than 3 million artifacts and records from archaeological projects in Southwest Colorado
- Picnic area and half-mile nature trail
- Museum shop operated by the non-profit Canyonlands Natural History Association