Tres Rios Field Office Seasonal and Emergency Closures:
Map of winter closures. To enlarge the map, right click and open in new tab to enlarge any map.
The Bureau of Land Management, City of Durango and Colorado Parks and Wildlife want to notify hikers, bicyclists and others about the annual winter trail closures in the Durango area from Dec 1 to April 15 each year. Please note that closures may be extended to April 30 if conditions and wildlife needs are warranted.
- Big Canyon and Sale Barn trailheads (access located east of U.S. Highway 160)
- South Rim trail, portions of Sidewinder and Cowboy trails on BLM lands accessed from Carbon Junction trail or Crites connect
- Grandview BLM trails (access from Three Springs)
Animas City Mountain
- BLM lands above the lower loops (approximately 1.5 miles above the 32ndstreet trailhead)
Twin Buttes Area
- All upper trails as marked
Bodo State Wildlife Areas
- Exceptions: the Smelter Mountain Trail is open from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m., dogs are prohibited; small-game hunting is allowed in the area south of La Plata County Road 210.
- The area east of County Road 208 and west of Hogs back.
- Note: this area is closed through July 31 to protect nesting peregrine falcons.
For more information, contact the BLM Tres Rios Field Office at 970-882-1120