Lincoln County Land Act of 2000

Public Law 106-298

Summary
The Lincoln County Land Act, P.L. 106-298 (LCLA), was passed by Congress and signed into law in October, 2000. According to the LCLA the purpose is: “To provide for the orderly disposal of certain public land in the county and to provide for the acquisition of environmentally sensitive land in the State of Nevada…”

Land Disposal
LCLA identified approximately 13,500 acres of public land within Lincoln County for disposal. Sale of those lands were completed in 2001 and 2005.  85% of the revenue generated by land sales in Lincoln County is deposited into a special account in the United States Treasury. The remaining 15% is paid to the State of Nevada (5%) and Lincoln County (10%).

The LCLA authorizes the Secretary of the Interior to expend without further appropriation the revenue in the LCCRDA Account for:

 ·   Inventory, evaluation, protection, and management of unique archeological resources in Lincoln County. 
 ·   Development of a Multiple Species Habitat Conservation Plan (MSHCP) for Lincoln County.
·    Reimbursement of costs incurred by the Nevada State Office BLM and the Ely Field Office in preparing land sales within Lincoln County, including the cost of land boundary surveys, compliance with NEPA, appraisals, environmental and cultural clearances, and any public notices as well as the cost for processing public and use authorizations and rights-of-way stemming from development of the conveyed land.
· Acquisition of environmentally sensitive land.   

Archaeological Resources
The Lincoln County Archaeological Initiative (LCAI) manages the expenditure of funds for the inventory, evaluation, protection, and management of unique archaeological resources in Lincoln County.

Acquisitions
Environmentally sensitive land means land, or interest in land, which promote the preservation of natural, scientific, aesthetic, historical, cultural, watershed, wildlife, and other values contributing to the public enjoyment and biological diversity; enhance recreational opportunities and public access; or provide the opportunity to achieve better management of public land through consolidation of Federal ownership.