Kanab Field Office 669 S Highway 89A Kanab, UT 84741
Wire Pass provides an enticing introduction to the geological wonders and undeveloped beauty of the Paria Canyon-Vermilion Cliffs Wilderness. From the Wire Pass Trailhead, the route follows Coyote Wash for a little more than a mile before entering the narrows of Wire Pass. Two short stretches of narrow canyon lead to the confluence with Buckskin Gulch, roughly 1.7 miles from the trailhead. From there, visitors can observe a petroglyph panel before continuing into the Buckskin Gulch narrows or turning around and returning to the trailhead.
The route is undeveloped, with no trail or facilities outside the trailhead. While most of the route is easy, a roughly 10-foot-high boulder jam in the narrows has presented a challenge for many hikers in recent years. Additional hazards may be present. Slot canyons like Wire Pass are extremely prone to flash-flooding and should not be attempted if flooding is a concern.
Please see below for more information about Paria Canyon Overnight permits.
Paria Canyon Overnight Permits
Effective immediately, all Paria Canyon Overnight permits previously scheduled for pick up at the Kanab Visitor Center will now only be available for pick up at the Paria Contact Station or at the BLM Arizona Strip Interagency Visitor Center. If you have questions or need to change location, please contact us at email@example.com.
- Calling to confirm will speed up your permit pick-up.
- For Paria Contact Station pick-up, call 435-689-0801, 7 days/week from 8:00am - 4:30 pm.
- For BLM Arizona Strip Interagency Visitor Center pick-up, call 435-688-3200, Monday - Friday from 7:45 am to 5:00 pm.
- As a reminder, your trip must begin only on the reserved entry date; overnight trips that begin on a day other than the permit entry date are considered invalid, even if you begin on a day that would have been covered by the permit dates. Permits must be picked up in person.
- KNOW BEFORE YOU GO
- LEAVE NO TRACE
- ROAD REPORT
- TRAVEL & TRANSPORTATION
- TREAD LIGHTLY
- RECREATION OPPORTUNITIES
- VERMILION CLIFFS NATIONAL MONUMENT: NORTH COYOTE BUTTES (THE WAVE) AND SOUTH COYOTE BUTTES
- VERMILION CLIFFS NATIONAL MONUMENT: PARIA CANYON
- PERMIT SYSTEMS
- SPECIAL RECREATION PERMITS
- INTERACTIVE MAP
- MONUMENT GEOREFERENCED MAP
- BURR TRAIL SCENIC BYWAY
- COTTONWOOD ROAD GEOPDF MAP
- LOWER CALF CREEK FALLS GEOPDF MAP
- HOLE IN THE ROCK SCENIC BACKWAY
- SKUTUMPAH / JOHNSON CANYON ROADS
Active Advisories & Alerts in Effect
Check out the advisories and alerts in effect to help plan and prepare for your next adventure.
THE WAVE LOTTERY
Currently the walk-in lottery for permits into Vermilion Cliffs National Monument (VCNM) at North Coyote Buttes (The Wave) and South Coyote Buttes is operating under normal business hours. The lottery takes place daily at 8:30 a.m. at the Kanab Center, which is located at 180 E 100 N, Kanab, Utah (Please note: this is NOT the BLM Kanab Visitor Center).
- North Coyote Buttes applications are accepted at 8:30 a.m. and close at 9:00 a.m. MST.
- South Coyote Buttes applications are accepted at 9:30 a.m. and close at 10:00 a.m. MST.
To ask questions about the lottery, call 435-644-5033 or 435-644-1300.
To ask questions about hiking The Wave, please call 435-688-3200.
Follow this link for information on walk-in and online lottery permits.