Special Recreation Permits
Special Recreation Permits are issued to businesses, organizations, and individuals to allow the use of specific public land and related waters for commercial, competitive, and organized group use.
Special Recreation Permits allow the land stewards to coordinate and track commercial and competitive use of public lands. They also provide resource protection measures to ensure the future enjoyment of those resources by the public.
- Verify that the activity is going to take place on public lands by contacting the local BLM Field Office in the area of activity
- The local BLM office will supply you with an application, checklist and local procedures
- 180 days prior to operation, file the application and items identified on the checklist
- The BLM will advise applicant of disapproval or request additional information within 30 days from receipt of application
- Documentation required may include an operating plan, a business plan, insurance, maps, other state or local licenses
- Contact your local BLM office for more information
This process may take up to 180 days to complete depending upon the complexity of the applicant's operations plan.
Not all applications submitted receive a permit. Therefore, any action taken before receiving a special recreation permit authorization, such as advertising or expending funds, is premature and at the applicant’s risk.
View additional region-specific information below as it becomes available.