Make a FOIA Request
Any FOIA request you send to the BLM should include the following basic elements.
- Your name, mailing address, daytime telephone number (or the name and telephone number of an appropriate contact), email address, and fax number (if available) in case we need additional information.
- A reasonable description of the records you are seeking. A “reasonable” description contains sufficient detail to enable BLM personnel familiar with the subject matter of the request to locate the records with a reasonable amount of effort.
- To the extent possible, please include identification of the date, title or name, author, recipient, and subject of any particular records you seek; the office that created the records you seek; the timeframe for which you are seeking records; and any other helpful identifying information. (Please do not include any personal information in your request unless it is needed for processing.)
- Specification of the format in which you wish to receive records (e.g., hard copies, electronic copies, etc.).
- A statement of your willingness to pay all applicable fees, fees up to a particular amount, or your request for a fee waiver (with the required justification; see 43 C.F.R. 2.45).
Please be advised that the FOIA does not require the BLM to do research for you, to analyze data, to answer written questions, or to create records in response to your request.
If your request does not reasonably describe the records sought, we will inform you what additional information is needed. We will also notify you that we will not be able to comply with your FOIA request unless you provide the additional information requested within 20 workdays. If we do not receive a written response within 20 workdays after asking for additional information, we will presume that you are no longer interested in the records and will close the file on your request.