Make a Freedom of Information Act (FOIA) Request
The BLM has transitioned to FOIA Express, a secure, web-based tracking and case-management system. FOIA Express has multiple features that increase efficiency in FOIA processing and permits requesters to:
- Search for previously released records;
- Generate reports;
- Receive records electronically;
- Track progress on all your requests submitted through FOIAonline via a personal dashboard;
- Communicate directly with the agency at all points in the process;
- Have your contact information pre-populated in future requests; and
- Receive notification when the status of your request has changed.
Please be advised that the FOIA does not require the BLM to do research for you, to analyze data, to answer written questions, or to create records in response to your request.
If your request does not reasonably describe the records sought, we will inform you what additional information is needed. We will also notify you that we will not be able to comply with your FOIA request unless you provide the additional information requested within 20 workdays. If we do not receive a written response within 20 workdays after asking for additional information, we will presume that you are no longer interested in the records and will close the file on your request.