Southwest District Fire Management Unit
Fire management involves an interagency approach among federal, state, and local partners. BLM-managed lands in Colorado are divided into four interagency fire management units – the Southwest District Fire Management Unit based in Montrose provides fire and fuels management support for the Gunnison, Tres Rios (including Canyons of the Ancients NM), and Uncompahgre (including Gunnison Gorge NCA) field offices.
CURRENT FIRE RESTRICTIONS & NOTICES
August 31, 2023: Termination of Fire Prevention Order COS01-23-02 - Rescinds Stage 1 fire restrictions in the Tres Rios Field Office, including Canyons of the Ancients National Monument..
July 10, 2023: Fire Prevention Order COS01-23-02 - Implements Stage 1 fire restrictions for all BLM-administered public lands in the Tres Rios Field Office, including Canyons of the Ancients National Monument, within the boundaries of Archuleta, Dolores, La Plata, Montezuma, NW portion of Montrose, and western half of San Miguel counties.
January 1, 2023: Fire Prevention Order COS01-23-01 - Enforces a prohibition on camping and campfires within the Durango Special Recreation Management Area of Tres Rios Field Office, including BLM lands in the Grandview, Animas City Mountain, and Skyline areas.
No fire restrictions at this time.
July 28, 2023: Temporary Closure Order COS06-23-01 - Implements a temporary closure to all public use for 978 acres of public land in Gunnison Field Office from Cunningham Gulch north to Mill Creek Road (Gunnison County Road 727). Lowline Fire Inciweb page
UNCOMPAHGRE FIELD OFFICE
No fire restrictions at this time.
September 8, 2023: Little Mesa Fire - For current status of wildfire burning in Dominguez-Escalante NCA about 15 miles west south-west of Delta, CO, visit Little Mesa Inciweb page and Facebook: @LittleMesaFire
YouTube: Little Mesa Fire - Explains the decision to use a confine and contain strategy to fight wildfire.
Fire Restriction Stages
All fire restrictions are in force until an order is posted to rescind them. Please contact individual field offices for more information.
Under Stage 1 Fire Restrictions:
- Campfires are only allowed within designated fire grates in developed campgrounds (i.e. a metal, in-ground containment structure -- fire pans and rock campfire rings are not acceptable).
- No fires of any type, including charcoal, outside of developed areas.
- No smoking except within an enclosed vehicle or building, a developed recreation site, or in a barren area free of vegetation.
- No use of explosive materials, including explosive targets.
- No welding or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame, except from an area that has been cleared of vegetation.
- No operation of any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed and in working order.
Under Stage 2 Fire Restrictions, the following activities are prohibited:
- Building, maintaining, attending or using a fire or campfire, charcoal grill, coal, wood burning stove or sheepherders stove, including in developed camping and picnic grounds. Devices using pressurized liquid or gas are exempted.
- Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle, trailer, building, or tent.
- Using an explosive requiring fuse or blasting caps, fireworks, rockets, exploding targets and tracers or incendiary ammunition.
- Operating or using any internal combustion engine without a spark arresting device properly installed, maintained and in effective working order meeting either:
- (a) Department of Agriculture, Forest Service Standard 5100-1a; or
- (b) Appropriate Society of automotive Engineers (SAE) recommended practice J335(b) and J350(a). 36 CFR 261.52(j)
- Operating a chainsaw without an approved spark arrestor, and without a chemical pressurized fire extinguisher and a round-point shovel with an overall length of at least 35 inches. The extinguisher will be with the equipment operator. The shovel may be kept with fueling supplies but readily available for use.
- Welding, or operating an acetylene or other torch with open flame (except with a current permit, contract or letter of authorization).