Well Permitting and Development
The BLM recently completed a multi-year effort to upgrade its online drilling permit processing system. The new Internet-based module will help the BLM reduce permit processing timeframes by 50 percent, while also increasing the efficiency and transparency of the drilling permit review and approval process.
The rollout of this new system was completed in phases, starting in October 2015. By year’s end, the BLM intends to shift to 100 percent electronic filing (or “e-filing”) of oil and gas drilling permits. This system replaces the Automated Fluid Minerals Support System, called AFMSS. View AFMSS2 now.
Well Information System (WIS)
The BLM’s first generation system for online form submissions is called the Well Information System (WIS). Because the BLM has launched Automated Fluids Minerals Support System 2 (AFMSS2), WIS may only be accessed to view existing documents. No new permitting forms will be accepted through this system.
Logon to WIS at https://www.blm.gov/wispermits/wis/SP. In order to log in, you will need to enter your email address and password. As previous passwords have expired, a generated WIS Account Password will be sent to the given email address used as your WIS User ID. Upon your first login, you will be required to change this to a new secure password. Please refer to the Announcement for Password Format Requirements. If you have trouble logging in please contact Paul Brown, at (303) 236-8586 or (303) 236-0227.
Update your password Instructions for choosing your new strong password are as follows:
- Passwords will be eight or more characters in length.
- Passwords must contain a mix of uppercase and lowercase letters.
- There will be at least one numeric character (0,1,2,3...9).
- There will be at least one special character (e.g. & *, etc.).
- Passwords are to be changed every 90 days. You will be prompted at 90 days to make this change.
- There will be no reuse of passwords allowed for at least 8 changes.
- Your account will be a locked out after five failed password entries and can only be cleared by Paul Brown or Casey Ferguson at the phone numbers listed below.
- Passwords may not be used until 180 days have passed since their last usage.
- When changing your password, at least two characters must be unique. Reuse of the same password with a different suffix (1 and 3) shall not be permitted.
If you have any further questions about this transition or are locked out of the system, please contact Paul Brown at 303-236-8586 or Casey Ferguson at 303-236-3509. Thank you for your patience as we make this transition.