BLM Issues Temporary Closures and Restrictions on the Black Rock Playa

Closures are intended to protect sensitive resources during the Burning Man event


Bureau of Land Management

BLM Office:

Black Rock Field Office

Media Contact:

WINNEMUCCA, Nev. — The BLM has announced a temporary closure and temporary restrictions for the Black Rock Playa for limited periods during each of the next five years. The temporary closure will affect public land immediately surrounding the site of the Burning Man event to protect resources, provide for public safety in the Black Rock Desert Wilderness, and enable BLM law enforcement personnel to support state and local law enforcement agencies. Temporary restrictions during closures are intended to prevent prohibited activities including disorderly conduct, driving under the influence, underage use of alcohol, possession of weapons, use of fireworks, and discharge of wastewater within the closure area.

The "Closure Area” will be temporarily closed to unauthorized recreational activities in two phases for a period of up to 66 days.

  • Phase 1 covers approximately 9,941 acres, or less than three percent of the Black Rock Desert playa.
  • Phase 2 covers approximately 51,149 acres, or 33 percent of the Black Rock Desert playa, but public access to the remaining 67 percent of the playa outside the temporary closure area will remain open to dispersed recreational use.

Dates for Phase1 and Phase 2 closures through fiscal year 2027 will be:

  • 2023  
    • Phase 1- July 27 through September 30 (66 Days)
    • Phase 2- August 21 through September 9 (20 Days)
  • 2024
    • Phase 1- July 25 through September 28 (66 Days)
    • Phase 2- August 19 through September 7 (20 Days)
  • 2025
    • Phase 1- July 24 through September 27 (66 Days)
    • Phase 2- August 18 through September 6 (20 Days)
  • 2026
    • Phase 1- July 30 through October 3 (66 Days)
    • Phase 2- August 24 through September 12 (20 Days)
  • 2027
    • Phase 1- July 29 through October 2 (66 Days)
    • Phase 2- August 23 through September 11 (20 Days)

Notice regarding the temporary closure and temporary restrictions will publish in the Federal Register on June 20, 2023.

The BLM will post information signs and make maps available to the public that provide detailed information about the temporary closure and restrictions. This information will be available at main entry points around the playa, the BLM Winnemucca District Office, Black Rock Field Office and Black Rock Station visitor center.

For additional information call the Black Rock Field Office at (775) 623-1500.

The BLM manages more than 245 million acres of public land located primarily in 12 western states, including Alaska, on behalf of the American people. The BLM also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. Our mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of America’s public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.