Shotgun Creek Recreation Site
The refreshing location with its lush, forest setting, coupled with comforts normally associated with an urban park, blend seamlessly at this popular day-use site. Here, one can immerse in the enjoyment of surrounding hiking trails, a swimming area, meandering creeks, and picnicking units. Whether seeking trail solitude, a fun day of water play during the heat of summer, or the lingering memory of that very special celebration, this special place awaits your arrival. Shotgun Creek Recreation Site is open to day use year round. Shelter reservations are available from May 1-September 30 each year.
Hiking, picnicking, family gatherings, sand volleyball, softball, playground, horseshoe pits, and seasonal water play.
- Reserve one or both large group day-use shelters each equipped with fireplace, lights, sinks, potable water, and picnic tables that will accommodate up to 112 people comfortably for events.
- 23 individual picnic sites
- 6.43 miles of hiking trail
The beautiful, well-equipped wooden shelters, available by reservation, offer a fine place to celebrate special events such as weddings, anniversaries or birthday parties.
- The 34-mile Shotgun OHV Trail System is located immediately north of the recreation site. Nearby staging facilities offer free amenities such as picnic tables, bathrooms, and trash facilities. Elevations from 758 to 2,864. Current fire restrictions: Fire Closures and Restrictions. Public Fire Restriction lev els can be found on Oregon Department of Forestry's website.
- Earnest Bridge south on Marcola Rd about a mile on the left on Paschelke Rd.
- Springfield Golf Club south on Marcola Rd about 9 miles turn left on Sunderman Rd.
- McGowan Environmental Education Area is located along McGowan Creek Road west of Shotgun Creek Rd.
Charges & Cancellations
Standard fees apply and are non-refundable.
Visit https://www.recreation.gov/rules-reservation-policies for more information.
From the North
- Take Interstate 5 south, exit 216, OR-228 towards Brownsville/Crawfordsville. Turn right on Bush Creek Road just east of Crawfordsville. Drive 12.4 miles on Bush Creek Road that turns into Marcola Road. Turn right just past the community of Mabel onto Shotgun Creek Road. Follow Shotgun Creek Road approximately 1.5 miles. The recreation site is located on the right side of the road.
From the South
- Take Interstate 5 north, exit 194A, OR-126 E towards Springfield. Travel 4 miles east to the 42nd St/Marcola exit and follow the signs to Marcola driving for about 13.3 miles until it intersects the Shotgun Creek Road (first paved road on the left). Follow Shotgun Creek Road approximately 1.5 miles. The recreation site is located on the right side of the road.
- Day use fees and on site shelter rentals are available on site at the electronic fee station near the entrance.
- A $5 daily vehicle fee is not included with shelter reservations and is collected on site. Cash or check made out to Bureau of Land Management is accepted. Fee envelope receipt stub must be displayed on the dash.
- Alternatively, you may use the Northwest Oregon Distrtict Annual Day Use Pass, Interagency Passes, and Golden Passes in place of the $5 per vehicle fee. Display those passes on the dash or hang from the rearview mirror.