Cronan Ranch Trailhead
Bureau of Land Management Mother Lode Field Office El Dorado Hills, CA 95762
From the town of Auburn, take Highway 49 south for approximately twelve (12) miles. Turn right on Pedro Hill Road.
Cronan Ranch Trailhead
NOTICE: They are baaaaaack ... a flock of sheep will be grazing at Cronan Ranch again this season. The sheep are working within temporary electric fencing. A livestock protection dog will be on-site and is used by the Sheep Herder as well as additional livestock herding dogs. Please recreate responsibly and remember your outdoor ethics. Thank you.
For more information, see our press release: https://www.blm.gov/press-release/sheep-arrive-cronan-ranch-graze-invasive-plants-and-reduce-wildfire-threat
*** For you and your dogs safety, please keep your dog on a leash when near livestock herding dogs ***
Cronan Ranch Trailhead is located in Pilot Hill, California. The area contains 12 miles of trails for hiking, biking, horseback riding, fishing, bird watching and other passive recreation. There is a wide variety of terrain to choose from, including gently sloped to challenging hills, oak woodland and gentle riverfront trails. Each season offers a diverse experience.
The land for Cronan Ranch and river trail corridor was purchased by the American River Conservancy, BLM and other partners over a period of 16 years and placed into public trust to be used for recreation and wildlife conservation. The purchase was made possible through generous donations by individuals, private foundations and government agencies, including the Wildlife Conservation Board and the California State Resources Agency.
Cronan Ranch connects with the South Fork American River corridor trail that runs from Greenwood Creek to Salmon Falls. For more information, see our South Fork American River webpage.
What you need to know:
- Cronan Ranch is a Day-Use area only. No overnight camping.
- Only non-motorized recreational activities such as hiking, mountain biking, horseback riding and other similar passive activities are allowed.
- Portions of this trail system border private property. Please respect the rights of private property owners by staying on designated routes at all times.
- Please be aware that there are mountain lions and rattlesnakes in the area.
- Fireworks are prohibited.
- Fuelwood cutting and collection is prohibited.
- A Special Recreation Use Permit is required for all commercial, organized groups, or competitive activities.
Hunting and Shooting Info - Cronan Ranch:
Firearms: The discharge of firearms is prohibited except in the course of licensed, in-season hunting activities. Hunting with rifles is prohibited within the Cronan Ranch Management Area during any season. Hunting weapons limited to bow and arrows, smooth bore shotguns and muzzleloaders. Muzzleloaders allowed only after fire season is declared over.
- No target shooting allowed
- No hunting for bear, squirrels, rabbits, jackrabbits, waterfowl, furbearers, or non game species
- Quail and Dove hunting during correct season
- Deer hunting: Fall season w/smooth bore shotgun & slugs only
- Deer hunting: Summer season - archery only
- Turkey hunting: Fall season w/smooth bore shotgun & shot shells only
- Turkey hunting: No SPRING SEASON turkey hunting
NOTE: All California game species are regulated by the California Department of Fish and Wildlife (CDFW).Rules, regulations, and seasons are controlled by CDFW, and it is the hunter's responsibility to verify and comply with proper species, seasons, zones, regulations, and legal location if hunting on public lands.
FGC 3004 — It is unlawful for any person to hunt or discharge while hunting, any firearm or other deadly weapon within 150 yards of any occupied dwelling house, residence, or other building or any barn or other outbuilding used in connection therewith. The 150 yard area is a "Safety Zone."
More Helpful Links:
- Where to Shoot
- California Department of Fish & Wildlife
- Hunting, Fishing and Recreational Shooting on Public Lands, BLM California
Other BLM Trailheads:
Return To: BLM, Mother Lode Field Office