El Mirage OHV Area


Bureau of Land Management, Barstow Field Office El Mirage Visitor Center El Mirage, CA 92301

34.62250833, -117.5426389

The El Mirage OHV riding area is located west of Adelanto, California, between US Highway 395 and the Los Angeles County line. Most visitors enter from US Highway 395 near Adelanto by taking Chamberlaine Way (formerly Crippen Avenue) west to Koala Road. Turn right on Koala Road and follow the signs toward the town of El Mirage. At El Mirage Road, turn left. Just east of the town of El Mirage, take Mountain View Road north to enter the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area. A sign located at this intersection will direct you to the recreation area.

If you are coming from Palmdale, take Palmdale Boulevard eastbound and turn north (left) at 240 th Street . Turn east (right) at Avenue P. At the San Bernardino County line, Avenue P becomes El Mirage Road. Follow El Mirage Road through the town of El Mirage. Just east of the town of El Mirage, take Mountain View Road north to enter the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area. A sign located at the intersection will direct you to the recreation area.

El Mirage OHV Area


The El Mirage OHV Recreation Area is managed by the BLM’s Barstow Field Office (BAFO) and encompasses 27,275 acres with recreation opportunities for motorcycles, ATVs, trucks, cars, buggies, land yachts, model airplanes, model rockets, ultra-light aircraft, gyrocopters, and parasails. El Mirage also has campsites and an ATV technical course. For current conditions and closure status of the El Mirage Dry Lake Bed, contact the BAFO at (760) 252-6000.

Download the El Mirage OHV Recreation Area Information Guide

Learn more about the Barstow Field Office

Entrance Fees
  • Each vehicle driven into El Mirage must have a pass: daily ($15); weekly ($30); or Season ($90 - Oct. 1 to Sept. 30th).
  • Daily Passes are valid from day of purchase until noon the next day.
  • Passes can be can purchased at the Visitor Center, the Barstow Field Office, 2601 Barstow Road, or the on-site fee machine.
  • The on-site fee machines take cash and credit cards, sell daily, weekly and annual passes, and require exact change.
  • A separate permit is NOT required for vehicles towed into the area. However, a towed vehicle driven in or out of the area will require a permit.
  • El Mirage is an expanded amenity recreation fee site and as such, does not accept Veterans, Senior, Adventure or National Park Passes.
Film Permits

El Mirage is a popular location for the motion picture industry where many major movies have been filmed including Terminator, Star Trek, There Will Be Blood, Tommy Boy and more. To apply for a film permit, please visit the Bureau of Land Management’s (BLM) Film Permits page.

Off-Highway Vehicle Use
  • OHVs owned by California residents must be registered with the California DMV and must display a valid “Green Sticker” or “Red Sticker.”
  • Out-of-state OHV users must comply with all California rules and regulations, which are available at California OHV Page.
  • On the ground, motorized vehicles should yield to non-motorized craft and aircraft.
  • Spins, donuts and drifting are prohibited at any time.
  • OHVs must be equipped with an approved muffler, brakes, and spark arrester
  • It is illegal to operate an OHV under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
  • It is illegal to bring, dispose of, or possess any glass container, empty or not, within the open area.
  • It is illegal to bring, dispose of, or possess any firewood containing nails, screws or other metal hardware within the open area.
  • Pallets are prohibited.
  • Shooting is prohibited in the El Mirage OHV Area, including BB guns, paint guns, and bow & arrows.
  • It is illegal to possess and/or discharge fireworks.
  • Persons on an ATV under 14 years of age must be supervised by a parent/guardian.
  • All persons, regardless of age, who operate an ATV on public land must wear an approved safety helmet. Carrying passengers is prohibited on ATVs.


Adventure is at Your Fingertips