Upper Onion Creek Group Site
OverviewUpper Onion Creek Group Sites are ideal for small family or group gatherings. Group Site A is designed for people with horses and has a horse corral and nearby equestrian trails. The campground offers striking views of the Colorado River canyon and the surrounding red rock cliffs, mesas and spires, with the La Sal Mountains as a dramatic back-drop. There is direct access to the Onion Creek four-wheel drive road (watch for seasonal rains and flash floods). The town of Moab is approximately 40 minutes away and has dining, shopping, sports rentals, tour companies and museums.
RecreationGroup Site A is designed for guests with horses and has a horse corral and nearby equestrian trails. Access to Onion Creek four-wheel drive road is adjacent to the campground and is popular for motorized and horse travel. The road has 27 wash crossings (be careful of seasonal rain and flooding hazards.) Within close proximity to national parks and open space, outdoor enthusiasts will enjoy hiking, mountain biking, whitewater rafting, and four-wheel drive tours in the surrounding area.
FacilitiesGroup sites have fire grates, picnic tables, vault toilets and shade shelters. Group Site A has a horse corral. The group sites do not have water, dump stations or electric hook-ups.
Natural FeaturesUpper Onion Creek Campground is located along scenic Highway 128. The views from the campground are spectacular and include Fisher Towers, Castle Valley and the Colorado River Canyon. The La Sal Mountains provide a stunning backdrop to the red rock cliffs, spires and mesas.
Nearby AttractionsThere are many hiking trails and viewpoints along Highway 128. The Fisher Towers area offers hiking, rock climbing and scenic vistas. There are boat launches at nearby Lower Onion Creek and Hittle Bottom Campgrounds. Upper Onion Creek Campground is about 40 minutes from Arches National Park and 55 minutes from Canyonlands National Park.
Charges & Cancellations
You may contact the BLM Moab Field Office for assistance with changes and cancellations at 435-259-2100.
You can make changes to a reservation through your online Recreation.gov user account any time prior to the arrival/first date of the reservation.
- There is a $10 change fee If you wish to change to dates entirely outside of the original reservation dates.
- There is no change fee if you wish to extend or shorten the original reservation dates as long as the changes include dates from the original reservation.
- There is a $10 change fee if you wish to change to another group site within the Upper Onion Creek area.
- You cannot make changes to your reservation after the arrival/first day through your Recreation.gov account. However, the BLM Moab Field Office may be able to assist you, 435-259-2100.
- For reservations with dates at the end of the available booking window (a.k.a. sliding window), you will not be able to make changes or cancellations until the site has been available to the general public for four days.
Please cancel your reservation if you do not plan to use it. This opens highly sought-after campsites for others to reserve.
You can cancel your reservation online through your Recreation.gov user account or through the call center the (call center incurs an additional fee). You may also contact the BLM Moab Field Office for assistance. A $10 service fee will be withheld from any refund for a cancellation.
A late cancellation occurs less the 14 days before the arrival/first date of the reservation (a.k.a. cut-off window).
Late cancellations will incur a $10.00 service fee AND forfeit the first night's use fee.
If you spend at least one night and then leave prior to the scheduled departure check-out date, please contact the BLM Moab Field Office (435-259-2100) to open the remaining nights for others to use. You will not be able to cancel these nights through your Recreation.gov account.
You will be eligible for a partial refund of the nights AFTER you depart that you did not use. If you depart after the facility check-out time, you will not be eligible for a refund for that night
A No Show occurs if you do not arrive at your campsite or cancel your reservation by check-out time (Noon) on the day after the scheduled arrival date. Staff will hold a campsite until check-out time (Noon) on the day following the arrival date.
No-shows are assessed a $20.00 Recreation.gov service fee and forfeit the first night’s recreation fee.
You can submit a refund request through your Recreation.gov account within 7 days of the departure/end date of your reservation.
- Applicable fees, such as the Recreation.gov reservation fees, service/cancellation fees, lottery application fees, and change fees, are non-refundable.
- Refunds cannot be issued to any card other than the one used to pay.
- In the event of an emergency closure, all fees will be refunded. Attempts will be made to notify you using the contact information within your Recreation.gov customer profile.
Interagency Pass Discounts
Interagency Pass discounts do not apply to group campsite reservations.
Accessibility Description (ABA/ADA)
Group Site A (Equestrian Site, max 20 people): $100
Group Site B (max 25 people): $125