The Marias River starts in Glacier County at the confluence of the Two Medicine River and Cut Bank Creek. It flows generally southeastward from this point and is impounded by the Tiber Dam to form Lake Elwell. About 50 miles downstream of the dam, it receives its principal tributary, the Teton River, shortly before entering the Missouri River at Loma. The Marias River was named in 1804 by Meriwether Lewis for his cousin, Maria Wood. There are three BLM river access sites: Sullivan Bridge launch site, Pugsley Bridge Recreation Area, and Moffat Bridge Recreation Area.
The Moffat Bridge Recreation Area is located about 7 miles downstream of the Pugsley Bridge Recreation Area. There are two recreation sites, but only one has motorized access to the river. The motorized river access is on the north side of the river, northeast of the bridge, and has a vault toilet and picnic area. It is on State of Montana land and managed in cooperation with the Montana Department of Natural Resources and Conservation. The other site is on BLM land. It is just downstream, on the south side of the river in a beautiful cottonwood gallery. This site is open to motorized vehicles only during the summer and walk-ins the rest of the year. The cottonwood gallery road does not go all the way to the river. A high clearance vehicle is recommended. Visitors must cross private land to access this portion of the recreation area by land. Please respect private property to ensure continued access to the BLM lands. Pack out trash and leave gates and other structures the way you find them.
On Hwy 2, go about four miles east of Cut Bank and turn south onto the Sullivan Bridge Road. The recreation site is on the north side of the river. Roads within the site may be impassable when wet.