Lander Field Office 1335 Main Street Lander, WY 82520
From Casper, take Highway 220 south approximately 60 miles and turn north onto Martin Cove Road and proceed 3/4 mile north. From Rawlins, travel north on US Highway 287 for 44 miles, merge onto Highway 220 and travel another 12 miles. From Lander take HWY 287 E to Muddy Gap turn left onto HWY 220 to Martins Cove turnoff.
No Use Fee
This site is managed in partnership with the LDS Church who is the primary land owner at the site. Obey all signs and information. The Martin Handcart Company, the last handcart expedition to attempt the Trail in 1856, forded the North Platte River near Red Buttes on October 19 and fought snow, wind and sub-zero temperatures to reach this small cove in the flank of the Sweetwater Rocks about two miles west of Devil's Gate in early November. Rescuers sent from Salt Lake City found the company, "...in perishing condition." The camp grounds became grave yards as the Martin Company buried their dead. Perhaps as many as 145 of the 576 members of the company froze or starved to death. The site features an ADA accessible walking path, interpretive signs and public parking.