The Bureau of Land Management issues temporary closure on the Black Rock Playa

WINNEMUCCA, Nev. — The Black Rock Field Office announced temporary closure and temporary restrictions for activities on public lands that immediately surround the site of the 2022 Burning Man event to protect public resources, provide for public safety on the Black Rock Desert, and enable law enforcement personnel to support state and local law enforcement agencies with enforcement of existing laws. A Federal Register notice regarding a temporary closure and temporary restrictions of areas on the Playa was published on July 1, 2022. The closures will begin on July 28 and continue through October 1, 2022. The 2022 Burning Man Event starts August 28 and concludes on September 5.

The "Closure Area” is a physical space that will be temporarily closed to unauthorized recreational activities and will last approximately 66 days. There are two phases of the Closure Order. Phase 1 will be in effect from July 28 to October 1, 2022 and cover approximately 9,570 acres. Phase 2 will be in effect from August 22 to September 23, 2022, covering approximately 120,270 acres. Phase 2 of the temporary closure will impact roughly 77 percent of the Black Rock Desert playa, but public access to the other 23 percent of the playa outside the temporary closure area will remain open to dispersed recreational use.

Temporary restrictions are in effect to underscore certain activities remain prohibited during the closure. Prohibited activities include disorderly conduct, driving under the influence, underage use of alcohol, possession of weapons, use of fireworks, and discharge of wastewater within the temporary closure area.

The BLM will post information signs and make maps available to the public that provide detailed information about the temporary closure and restrictions. This information will be available at main entry points around the playa, at the BLM Winnemucca District Office, at the Black Rock Visitor Center, and on the BLM’s website.

For additional information call the Black Rock Field Office at (775) 623-1500.


The BLM manages more than 245 million acres of public land located primarily in 12 western states, including Alaska, on behalf of the American people. The BLM also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. Our mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of America’s public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.

Release Date

Organization

Bureau of Land Management

Office

Black Rock Field Office

Contacts

Name:
Heather O'Hanlon
Phone:

Attachments