BLM Ukiah Field Office issues seasonal fire restrictions
Ukiah, Calif. — The Bureau of Land Management has issued seasonal fire restrictions for public lands managed by the Ukiah Field Office effective immediately. Seasonal restrictions are issued to prevent wildfires and for public safety and are in addition to the year-round statewide fire prevention order and will remain in effect until further notice.
On average, human-caused wildfires make up 9 out of 10 wildfires in California. “With increasing risk of wildland fires throughout the Northern California region, it’s important that we do everything we can to be prevent fire ignition.” said Ukiah Field Manager Nick Lavrov.
The following fire restrictions have gone into affect:
• Setting, building, maintaining, attending, or using a campfire or open flame of any kind is prohibited, except campfires within approved fire pits and grills already provided in developed recreation sites with a valid California campfire permit. Controlled flame devices, such as portable stoves and lanterns with shut-off valves, using gas, jellied petroleum, or pressurized liquid fuel are allowed and require a valid California campfire permit. California campfire permits are available free at all BLM, U.S. Forest Service and Cal Fire offices or at www.readyforwildfire.org/prevent-wildfire/campfire-safety/.
• All recreational target shooting is temporary prohibited under this order, except hunting with a valide State of California hunting license during the legal pursuit of game. Visit www.wheretoshoot.org for alternative recreational target shooting locations
• Operating or using any internal combustion engine (e.g., chainsaws, generators, ATVs) off BLM designated roads and trails. All internal combustion engines, with the exception of registered street legal vehicles, must be equipped with a properly installed and maintained spark arresting device.
• Smoking, except within an enclosed vehicle or camp trailer or while stopped/standing in a designated developed campground with a three-foot diameter area barren or cleared of all flammable materials and away from federal facility doors, windows and air ducts.
• The possession or operating of any welding, acetylene device or other open flame torch that uses oxygen and fuel gases to weld and cut steel or metallic components.
• Fireworks and explosives are prohibited.
A listing of fire restrictions throughout BLM California is available at http://ow.ly/RQVm50JcYrV. For specific questions, please contact the Ukiah Field Office at 707-468-4000.
The BLM manages more than 245 million acres of public land located primarily in 12 western states, including Alaska, on behalf of the American people. The BLM also administers 700 million acres of sub-surface mineral estate throughout the nation. Our mission is to sustain the health, diversity, and productivity of America’s public lands for the use and enjoyment of present and future generations.