<< Back to Coal Leasing FAQs


Other Agencies Associated with Federal Coal Leasing

Are there other federal agencies that I will have contact with in association with a federal coal lease?
Yes, other federal agencies you may have an association with include the following:

  • Office of Surface Mining Reclamation and Enforcement (OSM), Department of the Interior is responsible for mine permitting and reclamation.
  • Minerals Management Service (MMS), Department of the Interior is responsible for receipt and recordation of rent royalty payment.
  • United States Forest Service (USFS), Department of Agriculture, its consent is required for leasing in areas where the USFS controls the surface estate.
  • Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) for compliance with the Community Right to Know Act.