February 6, 2006
Contact: Lesley A. Collins
Buffalo BLM Issues Decision Record and FONSI for Welch Management EA
The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) Buffalo Field Office completed a management plan and environmental analysis (EA), for the Welch Management Area (WMA) in Sheridan County. After considering public comments, a Finding of No Significant Impact (FONSI) was reached for the Welch Management Plan.
The area encompasses 1,770 acres, 9 miles north of Sheridan and adjacent to the Tongue River. Following a 30-day public comment period, Buffalo Field Manager, Chris Hanson chose alternative two.
According to Hanson, the preferred alternative includes the following actions:
- Livestock will be managed through a deferred rotation grazing system promoting sustainable and diverse vegetation.
- WMA will be available for mineral development; however other resource objectives shall take priority.
- Non-motorized forms of recreation will be emphasized.
- Vegetation resources will be managed for natural diversity.
- Wildlife habitat will be managed to improve biological diversity, forage, and habitat quality in support of Wyoming Game and Fish Department population objectives while providing for special status species.
- Riparian areas will be improved.
For further information or questions call the Buffalo Field Office at 307-684-1100. The document is available on line at www.wy.blm.gov/bfo.