Rock art near Worland, Wyoming. Scenery along the Red Gulch-Alkali Backcountry Byway near Worland, Wyoming. Duck Swamp Interpretive Area near Worland, Wyoming. Scenery in the Gooseberry Badlands near Worland, Wyoming. Dinosaur track at the Red Gulch Dinosaur Tracksite near Worland, Wyoming.
BLM>Wyoming>Field Offices>Worland>Lands & Realty
Print Page
Worland Field Office

Lands & Realty

The Worland Field Office lands staff processes a variety of realty actions including:

Rights-Of-Way Grants - are authorizations issued for a variety of compatible uses of public land. Examples include roads, pipelines, communication sites, power lines, and telephone cables. It is recommended the applicant contact the Worland Field Office and present a description of the project and the purpose for the request. Find out more about rights-of-way application procedures. If you want to acquire a ROW from a company or individual, the ROW must be assigned through the BLM. Transfer of a BLM access road ROW does not occur with title transfer when you purchase private property.


Temporary Use Permits - are short term authorizations for temporary working areas and access roads related to rights-of-way grants.


Land Use Permits - are issued for 6 months to 3 years for temporary use of the land.


Film Permits - are special permits to use public land for commercial film productions including creation of motion pictures, television documentaries, videos, sound tracks and advertisements.


Recreation and Public Purpose - are leases or patent (title) to land for public works projects associated with state/local government entities or non-profit organizations.


Land Sales - occur very infrequently. It is rare and unusual for the BLM to offer land in the Worland Field Office for sale. The preferred method of land disposal in the Worland Field Office is by land exchange where a public benefit is obtained.


Land Exchange - Exchanges with willing private land owners must have a substantial public benefit such as public access or critical wildlife habitat to be seriously considered.


Land and Water Conservation Funds - are occasionally used to acquire land or interest in land having special/unique resource values.


Trespass - is the unauthorized use of public land, and can result in financial penalties against persons found to be in trespass. Trespass activities include dumping of trash and debris, constructing/maintaining roads, farming/irrigation, and occupation without authorization. If you observe what you believe to be an unauthorized act or use, please contact the Worland Field Office to have the activity investigated.


Withdrawals - Occasionally, the BLM reserves or sets aside land from the operation of the public land laws, including establishment of mining claims, because development of the locatable mineral estate is not compatible with the purpose(s) for which the land is being used.

The BLM has established a web site from which the public may now access land and minerals information from the agency's LR2000 database. This site provides direct access to services that previously required a visit to an information access center at one of the BLM's regional offices. Information concerning oil and gas leasing, rights-of-way, mining claims locations, etc., may be found by visiting BLM's Lands and Minerals Records LR2000 website.