BLM Acquisitions Services and Financial Assistance

Financial Assistance

OR Youth Corps

Grants and cooperative agreements support positive partnerships with organizations and individuals through financial assistance.  Find resources for grants and partnerships with the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) through the links below.

Blue Divider Line

Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)

Is it a grant or cooperative agreement?

Cooperative Agreement:  BLM is supporting a non-federal cooperator with funds or items of value and has substantial involvement in the project being funded.  The agency is substantially involved when it acts as a partner with the cooperator.

Grant:  BLM is supporting a non-federal cooperator with funds or items of value but has no significant involvement in the project being funded. 

Can the BLM award an agreement for more than one year?

Cooperative agreements and grants are awarded for a five year period.

Can the Cooperator spend more than was awarded?

If the cooperator's expenditures exceed the budget estimates, the cooperator absorbs the additional costs as part of the cooperator's share.

What is the difference between a continuation and a revision?

A revision is a written change in the terms and conditions of an award document before its expiration date.  An award is continued when a current funding period expires and an applicant is awarded funding in a subsequent year.

What are SF-269A’s and the Performance Reports?

The SF-269, "Financial Status Report", is prepared by the Cooperator and submitted according to the terms in the agreement.  It reflects the obligations, program income, and unobligated balances of the project.  The Performance Reports identify goals and objectives and how they were met or not met as well as any cost overruns.  These reports are due annually and as a final on closeout.

What is a DUNS number?

The Data Universal Numbering System (DUNS) is a unique nine character identification number provided by Dun & Bradstreet.  It is a universal identifier to facilitate award tracking and expenditure of federal dollars throughout the grants life cycle.  It is a required field in the SF-424, Application for Federal Assistance.

What is a PO?

The Project Officer (PO) is the authorized BLM personnel who is responsible for the oversight of the project. 

What are Intergovernmental Orders (IGOs)?

Formerly Interagency Agreements or IAAs, a contract between two government agencies, departments, or between major organizational units within an agency.  

What are Memorandums of Understanding?

BLM and the cooperator are cooperating on a project of mutual interest and no funds or other things of value are being transferred.  MOUs can be effective for up to five years. 

Acquisition Services Home
Small Business Resources
Financial Assistance
Glossary of Terms