2000 Final Regulations and Correcting Amendments
- 43 CFR Part 1880-Financial Assistance, Local Governments--Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILT), 8/23/00, 65 FR 51229-51234
- 43 CFR Parts 2090, 2200, 2710, 2740, 3800 and 9260--Mining Claims Under the General Mining Laws; Surface Management, 11/21/00, 65 FR 69997-70132
- 43 CFR Part 2560-Alaska Native Veterans, 6/30/00, 65 FR 40953-40966
- 43 CFR Part 3500--Leasing of Solid Minerals Other Than Coal and Oil Shale, 8/18/00, 65 FR 50446-50449
- 43 CFR Parts 6300 and 8560--Wilderness Management, 12/14/00, 65 FR 78357-78376
- Interim Final Supplementary Rules for Public Land Within Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument, and At Associated Facilities, Cedar City Field Office, Utah, 9/1/00, 65 FR 53515-53521
- 43 CFR Parts 6300 and 8560--Wilderness Management. (Federal Register, 12/14/00, 65 FR 78357-78376). This final rule revises and updates the regulations for management of designated wilderness areas. The rule also meets the need for updated regulations by--
- Adding new requirements based on changes in legislation or agency objectives;
- Clarifying what use BLM allows and authorizes in wilderness areas, and what acts BLM prohibits; and
- Explaining special uses the Wilderness Act explicitly allows, and how BLM allows access to non-Federal lands located within BLM wilderness areas.
- 43 CFR Parts 2090, 2200, 2710, 2740, 3800 and 9260--Mining Claims Under the General Mining Laws; Surface Management. (Federal Register, 11/21/00, 65 FR 69997-70132).
This final rule amends the regulations to--
- Improve the clarity and organization;
- Address technical advances in mining;
- Incorporate policies developed after we issued the previous regulations 20 years ago; and
- Better protect natural resources and our Nation's natural heritage lands from the diverse impacts of mining.
We intend these regulations to prevent unnecessary or undue degradation of BLM-administered lands by mining operations authorized under the mining laws.
- Interim Final Supplementary Rules for Public Land Within Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument (Monument), and At Associated Facilities, Cedar City Field Office, Utah. (Federal Register, 9/1/00, 65 FR 53515-53521). The final supplementary rules--
- Require groups exercising First Amendment rights to get permits for demonstrations at the Monument; and
- Promote peace and good order at the Monument and at visitor centers and other facilities.
- 43 CFR Part 3500--Leasing of Solid Minerals Other Than Coal and Oil Shale. (Federal Register, 8/18/00, 65 FR 50446-50449). This direct final rule updates a chart in the final rule at 43 CFR 3503.37 which shows the acreage limitations. Congress expanded the single-state limit for sodium leases (P.L. 106-191).
- 43 CFR Part 2560--Alaska Native Veterans (Federal Register, 6/30/00, 65 FR 40953-40966). This final rule implements recently passed legislation to allow for an 18-month open season in which certain Alaska Native veterans would be eligible for a 160-acre allotment under the 1906 Native Allotment Act. The basic requirements are that the veteran--
- Must have served between January 1, 1969 and December 1971; and
- Must have been otherwise eligible under the 1906 Act as it was in effect before December 18, 1971.
- 43 CFR Part 1880--Financial Assistance, Local Governments--Payments in Lieu of Taxes (PILT) (Federal Register, 8/23/00, 65 FR 51229-51234). This final rule incorporates the following changes made to the authorizing legislation in the 103rd, 104th, and 105th Congresses by--
- Increasing payments for entitlement lands based on the Consumer Price Index and increasing the maximum payments that BLM may make to each county based on population;
- Indexing payments for inflation;
- Authorizing payments for certain land exchanges and acquisitions;
- Amending the definition of "unit of general local government";
- Stipulating which units of general local governments are eligible to receive PILT payments; and
- Prohibiting BLM from disbursing PILT payments to cities in Alaska.
2000 Correcting Amendments