Hobby Collecting in Utah

Collecting Fossils on BLM-administered lands

Elrathia kingi

Collecting certain common invertebrate and plant fossils on BLM-administered lands is allowable without a permit. It is your responsibility to be familiar with these regulations before starting. 

Some areas on BLM-administered lands may be closed to hobby collecting for various reasons including mineral leasing, mining claims, scientific study, resource preservation, and public safety.

 Contact the nearest BLM office to inquire about areas that may be closed to fossil collection or other recreational activities.


Common invertebrate fossils include the fossilized remains of animals without a backbone, including snails, oysters, ammonites, corals, shellfish, and others.  This also includes different types of preservation of animals in rock, including tracks, traces, burrows, impressions, and original hard-parts.

Ammonite from Muddy Creek  Silicified Gastropods from the House Range  Fern Fossil  Borrows (background) and Brachiopods (foreground) from Confusion Range

Plant fossils include leaf and stem impressions, root traces, and original material.  Petrified wood is a mineral material subject to specific regulations and is discussed below.

What is a reasonable amount?

You may collect common invertebrate and plant fossils for NONCOMMERCIAL purposes only.  A reasonable amount is what you may keep for a personal hobby collection or display in your home.

Do I need a permit?

Consistent with existing policy, the Paleontological Resource Preservation Act includes provisions allowing for casual or hobby collecting of common invertebrate and plant fossils without a permit on Federal lands managed by the BLM under certain conditions. Casual collecting is not allowed within the National Parks or other lands managed by the National Park Service. Casual collecting is also not allowed on lands administered by the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service and the Bureau of Reclamation.

Some invertebrate or plant fossils are rare or unusual and are therefore not considered to be common.  These may include impressions of rare precambrian soft-bodied fauna or other taxa that are unstudied or new to science.  Rare or unusual invertebrate or plant fossils, as determined by the current state of the sciences of invertebrate paleontology or paleobotany, must be deposited in a museum and may only be collected with a paleontological resource use permit.

While plant fossils that have carbonized in the fossilization process often become coal or oil, the extraction of these resources is regulated under specific mining and mineral extraction laws.  See the BLM energy program for more information on mining and minerals.


Document links

Fossil Theft

The BLM Office of Law Enforcement (OLES) is heavily involved with the protection of fossils on lands administered by the BLM. Paleontological resources constitute a fragile and nonrenewable scientific record of the history of life on earth.

Follow the link to find out more about Fossil Theft.


Petrified Wood

It is permissible to collect limited amounts of wood. (43CFR3622.1)

What is a reasonable amount?

BLM regulations allow the collection of 25 pounds per day of petrified wood plus one piece, provided that the total removed by one person does not exceed 250 pounds in one calendar year.  Pooling of quotas to obtain pieces larger than 250 pounds is not allowed.  (43CFR3622.4)

Power equipment, explosives, or heavy digging or hauling equipment may NOT be used to excavate or remove petrified wood.  (43CFR3622.4)

Do I need a permit?

If you intend to remove more than 250 pounds of petrified wood in one calendar year, intend to remove a petrified log that exceeds 250 pounds, or intend to sell or barter petrified wood for profit, then you will need a mineral permit.  (43CFR3602.10)

If you intend to collect specimens of petrified wood (i.e. logs) that exceed 250 pounds for display in a public museum or similar institution, then you may obtain special permission on a case-by-case basis.  (43CFR3622.2 and 43CFR3604)

If you intend to collect and study scientifically significant specimens of petrified wood for permanent inclusion in a museum collection, then you will need a paleontological resource use permit.

Where Can I Collect Fossils in Utah?

Contact the local BLM Field Office for information on locations where you collect common invertebrate and plant fossils.

REMEMBER: Collecting or disturbing fossils in the Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument is NOT ALLOWED.