Vermillion Cliffs--Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
Calf Creek Falls Cedar Mesa Ruin Cleveland Lloyd Gallery Simpson Springs Pony Express Station Cedar Mesa
BLM>Utah>Salt Lake>Recreation>Special Recreation Permits
Print Page
Special Recreation Permits

The Bureau of Land Management (BLM) requires a Special Recreation Permit (SRP) for commercial operations, competitive events and races, and organized group activities on public lands. Permits are required for the following: 

  • Commercial activities such as: guide services; food or merchandise sales; fund-raising events; commercial filming or still photography
  • Competitive activities such as: racing events; field trials
  • Organized group activities such as: clubs, organizations, and associations; church groups or religious organizations; scout groups; large family or group gatherings and reunions; re-enactment or role-playing groups; charities or non-profits; educational, academic, scientific, and/or research institutions

Different activities can have different permit requirements. Not all permits involve fees, and some events may quality for waivers.

If your activity falls into one of the above categories or you are not sure, you MUST contact the BLM to determine what type of permit requirements apply to your event. Failure to obtain the necessary permit may result in administrative or criminal penalties.

If you need to apply for a SRP within the Salt Lake Field Office, click on the links below to learn more:

Knolls motorcycle raceFivemile Pass mountain bike race

Landspeed racing at Bonneville

For more information, call our office at 801.977.4300 and ask to speak to a Recreation Planner.

**Permit applicants for major events should contact the BLM at least 180 days before their proposed event dates.

Mail or fax completed permit applications to:

BLM Salt Lake Field Office
Attention: Recreation Staff
2370 South Decker Lake Blvd
West ValleyCity, UT 84119

FAX: (801) 977-4397