Outfitters & Guides

Minimum Impact Practices


Balloon Festival

Special Recreation Permits (SRPs) are authorizations that allow specific recreational uses of the public lands and related waters.  They can be issued as a means to manage visitor use, protect natural and cultural resources, and provide a mechanism to accommodate commercial recreational uses.  Authorized by the Land and Water Conservation Fund Act, permits are required for the following types of uses:  commercial, competitive, vending, individual or group use in special areas, organized group activities and events.

The Monticello Field Office has a substantial backlog of expressed interest in SRPs.  The BLM is actively working to find more effective and efficient ways to address these requests.  In general, older requests will be addressed first.

Please recognize that due to the existing backlog, new applications may not be able to be processed this year.

For more information on Special Recreation Permits, please visit the BLM Utah Recreation page.

Cedar Mesa Permit Information

A permit is required for year-round for day hiking, overnight backpacking, and saddle and pack stock use in the canyons of Cedar Mesa and Grand Gulch. 

For more information on obtaining a non-commercial permit, visit  Cedar Mesa Permits .

San Juan River Permit Information

A permit is required year-round to float any section of the San Juan River between Montezuma Creek and Clay Hills.  Permits are issued only through a pre-season lottery and advance reservations to individuals 18 and older. 

For more information on obtaining a non-commercial permit, visit  San Juan River Permits .