Vermillion Cliffs--Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
Calf Creek Falls Cedar Mesa Ruin Cleveland Lloyd Gallery Simpson Springs Pony Express Station Cedar Mesa
Monticello Field Office
BLM>Utah>Monticello>More>Lands and Realty
Print Page
Lands and Realty

The Monticello Field Office provides and manages information related to land ownership status, access and land records. Additionally, they processes a variety of realty actions including: 

Rights-of-way grants - are authorizations issued for a variety of compatible uses of public land. Examples include roads, pipelines, communication sites, power lines, and telephone cables. It is recommended the applicant contact the local field office and present a description of the project and the purpose for the request. Find out more about rights-of-way application procedures. Download Right-of-Way Application Form SF299-09b (PDF). More information is available here.

Land Use Permits - are issued for 6 months to 3 years for temporary use of the land usually involving minor projects.

Temporary Use Permits - are short term authorizations for temporary working areas and access roads related to rights-of-way grants. 

Film Permits - are special permits to use public land for commercial film productions including movies, television documentaries, videos, sound tracks, and advertisements. 

From more information on filming permits - click here.

Recreation and Public Purpose - are leases or patent (title) to land for public works projects associated with state/local government entities or non-profit organizations. Uses within the Monticello Field Office area include portions of the College of Eastern Utah Campus in Blanding, Goosenecks State Park and the fire station and municipal buildings at Mexican Hat. For more information on the R&PP Act - click here.

Land Sales - occur very infrequently. It is rare for BLM to offer land in the Monticello Field office for sale. The preferred method of land disposal is by land exchange where a public benefit is obtained.

Land Exchange - exchanges with willing private land owners must have a substantial public benefit such as public access or critical wildlife habitat to be seriously considered.

Land and Water Conservation Funds - are occasionally used to acquire land or interest in land having special/unique resource values.

Trespass - is the unauthorized use of public land, and can result in financial penalties against persons found to be in trespass. Trespass activities include dumping of trash and debris, constructing/maintaining roads, farming/irrigation, and occupation without authorization. If you observe what you believe to be an unauthorized act or use, please contact the Monticello Field Office to have the activity investigated.

Withdrawals - Occasionally BLM reserves or sets aside land from the operation of the public land laws, including establishment of mining claims because development of the locatable mineral estate is not compatible with the purpose(s) for which the land is being used.

Filming in Valley of the Gods

             Filming in Valley of the GodsMexican Hat Rock at Sunset

NOAA Climate Monitoring Site

           NOAA Climate Monitoring Site