Types of Special Recreation Permits

Types of Permits

Commercial Use
Commercial use is defined as recreational use of public lands and related waters for business or financial gain. When any person, group, or organization makes or attempts to make a profit, receive money, amortize equipment, or obtain goods or services, as compensation from participants in recreational activities occurring on public lands, the use is considered commercial.  Examples: outfitters and guides, four-wheel drive tours, livery and shuttle services.

Vendor permits are temporary, short-term, non-exclusive, revocable authorizations to sell goods or services on public lands in conjunction with a recreation activity.  Example: Food sales in conjunction with an authorized competitive event

1. Competitive Use
Competitive use is any organized, sanctioned, or structured use, event, or activity on public land in which two or more contestants compete and either (1) participants register, enter, or complete an application for the event, or (2) a predetermined course or area is designated.  Examples: Off-Highway Vehicle races, endurance rides, mountain bike races

2. Special Area Use
Special Areas are areas officially designated by statute or Secretarial order.  Example: Westwater Canyon private river permits 

3. Organized Group Activity and Event Use
Organized group/event permits are for non-commercial and non-competitive group activities and recreation events. Examples: family reunions, organized hiking, biking and four-wheel drive events