Vermillion Cliffs--Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
Calf Creek Falls Cedar Mesa Ruin Cleveland Lloyd Gallery Simpson Springs Pony Express Station Cedar Mesa
BLM>Utah>Kanab >More >Minerals
Print Page

Mining Law/Mining Claim Filing Requirements

General Mining Law of 1872
The federal law governing locatable minerals is the General Mining Law of 1872, which declared all valuable mineral deposits in land belonging to the United States to be free and open to citizens of the United States the opportunity to explore for, discover, and purchase certain valuable mineral deposits on public domain minerals.

The General Mining Law of 1872, as amended, has five elements:
1) Discovery of a valuable mineral deposit;
2) Location of mining claims and sites;
3) Recordation of mining claims and sites;
4) Maintenance (annual work/surface management) of mining claims and sites; and
5) Mineral Patents.

The Mining Law Administration program managed by the Bureau of Land Management involves primarily the last three elements: recordation, maintenance (annual work/surface management), and mineral patents. Surface management on National Forest System lands is administered by the Forest Service, Department of Agriculture. The activities associated with the first two elements are carried out by the claimant.

Mining Law Requirements on Federal Lands
New Location Notices/Certificates must be filed with the BLM Utah State Office, 440 West 200 South, Suite 500, P.O. Box 45155, Salt Lake City, Utah 84145-0155 within 90 days from the date of location. In Utah, you must record with the County Recorder within 30 days from the date of location. Notice must include township, range, section, and quarter section in which the claim is located, location date, type of location, claim name, claimant(s) name and address. Also, submit a map showing the boundary of the claim within a section.  For a more detailed description of mining law requirements visit the BLM Utah State Office webpage at:

Surface disturbance relating to mining or exploration cannot proceed without BLM’s approval of a notice or plan of operations and acceptance of a financial guarantee.

Mineral Materials

The Kanab Field Office provides a variety of mineral materials for commercial and residential use through over-the-counter permits and competitive/noncompetitive sales. Sand, gravel, fill dirt, clay, decorative stone/aggregate, and rip rap are available by permit.  Sale permits can be purchased at BLM offices or in some cases by phone.

Please remember – A sales permit or contract is required for removing mineral materials from federal lands.  Removal of material without a permit is a federal crime that carries fines and other penalties.

If you have any questions on information associated with the Kanab BLM minerals program, contact the mineral specialist at 435-644-4323.

Building stone Burnt shale Flagstone
Gravel Riprap

Mineral Related Links:

Utah BLM Energy Program

Utah BLM Abandoned Mine Lands Program

State of Utah Division of Oil Gas and Mining

State of Utah Geological Survey

United States Geological Survey