Vermillion Cliffs--Grand Staircase-Escalante National Monument
Calf Creek Falls Cedar Mesa Ruin Cleveland Lloyd Gallery Simpson Springs Pony Express Station Cedar Mesa
BLM>Utah>GSENM>Recreation>Permits & Fee Areas>Special Recreation Permits>Types of Permits
Print Page

Types of Special Recreation Permits

Commercial Use
Commercial use is defined as recreational use of public lands and related waters for business or financial gain. When any person, group, or organization makes or attempts to make a profit, receive money, amortize equipment, or obtain goods or services, as compensation from participants in recreational activities occurring on public lands, the use is considered commercial. 

Examples: outfitters and guides, four-wheel drive tours, bicycle tours, Universities and Colleges, and 501©3 organizations.

Vendor permits are temporary, short-term, non-exclusive, revocable authorizations to sell goods or services on public lands in conjunction with a recreation activity. 

Example: T-shirt sales in conjunction with an authorized event

Competitive Use
Competitive use is any organized, sanctioned, or structured use, event, or activity on public land in which two or more contestants compete and either (1) participants register, enter, or complete an application for the event, or (2) a predetermined course or area is designated. No Competitive Events are allowed in the National Monument.

Examples: Off-Highway Vehicle races, endurance rides, mountain bike races

Organized Group Activity and Event Use
Organized group/event permits are for non-commercial and non-competitive group activities and recreation events. 

Examples: family reunions, church functions, Boy Scout events, heritage groups, organized four-wheel drive events, Backcountry Horseman events, etc.


Grand Staircase Escalante National Monument

Grand Staircase-Escalante Partners Logo Glen Canyon Natural History Association

For additional information about GSENM visit: