The BLM completes such transactions when they are in the public interest and consistent with publicly approved land-use plans. The BLM's land tenure activities aim to:
- Improve management of natural resources through consolidation of federal, tribal, state and private lands;
- Increase recreational opportunities and ensure public access to public lands;
- Preserve open space and traditional landscapes;
- Secure key property necessary to protect endangered species, promote biological diversity and preserve wildlife habitat and migration corridors;
- Preserve archaeological, historical and paleontological resources; and
- Implement specific acquisitions authorized by Congress.