Laws, Regulations, and Policies
Laws and Regulations
Applications for solar energy projects will be processed and authorized as rights-of-way under Title V of FLPMA Link and Title 43, Part 2800, of the Code of Federal Regulations (CFR). Utility-scale solar power or photovoltaic electric generating facilities must comply with the BLM’s planning, environmental, and right-of-way application requirements.
Several Secretarial Orders directly address renewable energy:
- No. 3283, Enhancing Renewable Energy on the Public Lands, dated January 16, 2009
- No. 3285, Renewable Energy Development by the Department of the Interior, dated February 22, 2010
- No. 3327, Delegation of Authority for Cost Reimbursable Authority, Dated April 5, 2013
Instruction memorandums provide policy guidance on the implementation of regulations.
- IM 2015-138, Change 1 – Solar and Wind Energy Performance and Reclamation Bond Requirements, dated December 17, 2015
- IM 2010-156 – Bald and Golden Eagle Protection Act – Golden Eagle National Environmental Policy Act and Avian Protection Plan Guidance for Renewable Energy, dated July 9, 2010
- IM 2014-112, Solar and Wind Energy Inspection and Enforcement – Policy, dated July 3, 2014
- IM 2011-003 – Solar Energy Development Policy, dated October 7, 2010
- IM 2010-169, Interagency Transmission MOU, dated July 28, 2010
- IM 2009-043, Wind Energy Development Policy, dated December 19, 2008