Forest Operations Inventory Vegetation Data Standard V2.0
Bureau of Land Management Oregon State Office
P.O. Box 2965
Portland, OR 97208
United States Department of the Interior
BUREAU OF LAND MANAGEMENT
Oregon State Office
P.O. Box 2965
Portland, Oregon 97208
APR 14, 2022
IN REPLY REFER TO:
1283/1610/5000/6167 (OR955/930) P
EMS TRANSMISSION 04/18/2022
Information Bulletin No. OR-2022-021
To: Deputy State Directors, District Managers, and Branch Chiefs
From: Branch Chief, Information Resources Management
Subject: Forest Operations Inventory Vegetation Data Standard V2.0
This Information Bulletin announces the availability of the updated Forest Operations Inventory Vegetation (FOIVEG) Spatial Data Standard Version 2.
Forest Operations Inventory Vegetation polygon (FOIVEG_POLY) feature class is a forest-centric classification of vegetation with polygons that cover 100% of western Oregon BLM lands and some BLM managed areas in the rest of the United States. It describes forested lands in detail and non-forest lands with broad and general classifications.
This dataset is the spatial corporate repository for forest vegetation on BLM lands. It is used as a comprehensive record of vegetation on public lands at the unit level or at the broad landscape level using stand type or age class distribution. The published version of this dataset contains stand summary data and stand metrics that describe the vegetation in more detail. This data comes from stand exam and field surveys, photo interpretation, and remote sensing data.
The following changes were applied:
- Significant updates with reformatting.
- Updated content to show related tables as part of the dataset.
- Updated to text showing that the dataset has been expanded for use by all BLM states.
- Added document revision tables to the header of each standard where they were missing.
- Added a hyperlinked table of contents.
- Updated each State Data Steward listing to reflect current roles.
- Updated the GIS Technical Lead listing to reflect current roles.
- Updated the State Data Administrator listing to reflect current roles.
- Updated the State Records Administrator listing to reflect current roles.
- Updated the Records Retention Schedule sections to reflect that they are system-centric themes which must be permanently retained.
- Updated the BLM_ORG_CD domain (where present) to reflect the merger of the Salem and Eugene Districts to form the new Northwest Oregon District (NWOD).
- Updated the DIST_NAME domain (where present) to reflect the merger of Salem and Eugene Districts to form the new Northwest Oregon District (NWOD).
- Replaced title page images with single photo and accurate description.
- Updated domain dom_MS_Veg_Source
- Added Domain for OI_DDD6
- Added attributes; FOIVEG_PUB_POLY, STATE, TIMBER_TYPE,STOCK_CLASS, GLOBALID
- Added OI_VEGRMKS to the Publication view.
- Incremented the version number on each file name and modified the file names for consistency.
Additional edits were made to enhance the overall clarity and improve consistency with all data standards to improve alignment with Oregon Data Framework data management practices.
Any questions about this data standard can be directed to Carolina Hooper, Forester Analyst, State Data Steward for Forest Operations Inventory Vegetation, at 503-315-5927; Dana Baker-Allum, Geospatial Data Designer, Technical Lead, at 503-808-6320; or Eric Hiebenthal, State Data Administrator, at 503-808-6565.
Administrative or Mission Related: Mission.
Districts with unions are reminded to notify their unions of this IB and satisfy any bargaining obligations before implementation. Your servicing Human Resources Office or Labor Relations Specialist can provide you with assistance in this matter.
Acting Chief, Branch of Information Resources Management
Data Records Administrator
1 – Forest Operations Inventory Vegetation Data Standard V2.0 (81 pp)
OR955 (Eric Hiebenthal)
OC530 (Jesse German)
OC400 (Karen Meeker)