Through May 2, 2016, Bureau of Land Management is seeking public nominations for open positions on several Resource Advisory Councils (RACs) in Oregon and Washington.
As required by FACA, RAC membership must be balanced and representative of the various interests concerned with the management of the public lands. The rules governing RACs are found at 43 CFR subpart 1784 and include the following three membership categories:
Category One - Holders of Federal grazing permits and representatives of organizations associated with energy and mineral development, the timber industry, transportation or rights-of-way, developed outdoor recreation, off-highway vehicle use, and commercial recreation;
Category Two - Representatives of nationally or regionally recognized environmental organizations, archaeological and historic organizations, dispersed recreation activities, and wild horse and burro organizations; and
Category Three - Representatives of State, county, or local elected office, employees of a State agency responsible for management of natural resources, representatives of Indian tribes within or adjacent to the area for which the council is organized, representatives of academia who are employed in natural sciences, and the public-at-large.
Positions that are vacant or due to expire in 2016 include:
- Coastal Oregon RAC: two positions in Category One, one position in Category Two, two positions in Category Three.
- Eastern Washington RAC: two positions in Category One, three positions in Category Three.
- John Day/Snake RAC: two positions in Category One and one position in Category Three.
- Northwest Oregon RAC: two positions in Category One, two positions in Category Two, one position in Category Three.
- San Juan Islands National Monument AC: four positions representing interests related to the Monument and individuals possessing expertise related to the Monument's purposes.
- Southeast Oregon RAC: one position in Category One, one position in Category Two, one position in Category Three.
- Southwest Oregon RAC: five positions representing three categories -- commodity, non-commodity, and local area interest.
- Steens Mountain AC: one position representative of varied groups with an interest in the management of the Steens Mountain area.
Individuals may nominate themselves or others to serve on an advisory council. Nominees, who must be residents of the state or states where the RAC has jurisdiction, will be judged on the basis of their training, education, and knowledge of the council's geographical area. Nominees should also demonstrate a commitment to consensus building and collaborative decisionmaking.
All nominations must be accompanied by letters of reference from any represented interests or organizations, a completed RAC application, and any other information that speaks to the nominee's qualifications. To apply, please complete the application form below and send it, along with letters of reference and any supplementary information, to the coordinator of the RAC to which you are applying. A listing of the RAC webpages with contact information can be found at http://www.blm.gov/or/rac/index.php.
Questions should be submitted to the coordinator of a specific RAC, or to the BLM Oregon/Washington State Office through the following contact:
BLM Oregon/Washington State Office
1220 SW 3rd Ave.
Portland, OR 97204