Notice: For 2015, all river segments and launch dates are unlimited.
AN ON-LINE LAUNCH PERMIT IS REQUIRED FOR ALL TRIPS.
General Permit Information
- An online launch permit is required and available HERE to boat all river segments year-round on the mainstem John Day downstream of Kimberly, and the North Fork downstream of Dale.
- Permits will NOT be limited in 2015. Permits for launch dates through April 30th may be reserved at any time. Permits for May, June and July launch dates will be available beginning the first Monday in March.
- A non-refundable launch fee is due when a permit reservation is made for trips entering the Wild and Scenic River section (Service Creek to Tumwater Falls; Segments 1-3) between May 20 and July 10. The fee is $20 per overnight trip per group, or $10 per one-day trip per group. All fees collected will be used directly on the river to help keep launch sites and river campsites clean.
- One launch permit is issued per group, with a maximum group size of 16 persons.
- Each permit authorizes the trip leader to launch on a specific date in a specific river segment; once a permit is reserved, dates and segments are not changeable.
- A trip leader may list one alternate trip leader at the time of reservation.
- The trip leader or alternate is required to be present on the entire trip and may be requested to show permit and photo ID during the trip.
- Each person may be named as a trip leader or an alternate trip leader on a maximum of one overnight and three day-use permits at a time.
- The minimum age for a trip leader or alternate trip leader is 13 years.
- All permits are issued on-line as they become available; there is no lottery, no waiting list, and no permits are issued by phone. For assistance please click here to contact the Prineville BLM or call 541-416-6700.
- Neither a launch permit nor a fee are required when boating a distance of less than 100 yards upstream or downstream of the launch point, or to cross the river to the opposite bank.
- Priest Hole Exception: For short day-trips taking place completely within Priest Hole Recreation Site (a distance of one mile between River Mile 136.5 and 137.5), free unlimited self-issue paper permits may be obtained at Priest Hole.
To get at permit you will need:
- Desired launch point and launch date
- Desired take-out point and date
- Name, address, and birthdate of trip leader and alternate (if listing an alternate)
- Vehicle license plate number at take-out (may be updated at the launch)
- Credit Card to pay launch fee
How to get a permit:
- Step 1 - Go to www.blm.gov/or/permit at any time to create a Customer Account.
- Step 2 - Log-in, Check the calendar for availability and Apply for a permit online.
- Step 3 - Confirm your permit online between 10 and 30 days before your trip (we will send you two reminder notices).
- Step 4 - Print your permit and present it at the launch point with a photo ID.
Limited Seasons and Segments - Notice: For 2015, all river segments and launch dates are unlimited.
NORMALLY, PERMITS ARE LIMITED TO LAUNCH:
- May 20 to July 10 in Segment 2 and 3, for both day-use and overnight trips (applies to trips launching between Service Creek and Cottonwood, or floating past Service Creek from upstream within this date range).
- See the available launches per day table for limited segments.
Unlimited Seasons and Segments
PERMITS ARE UNLIMITED TO LAUNCH:
- July 11 to May 19 in Segment 2 and 3 (between Service Creek and Cottonwood)
- Year-round in Segment 1 (downstream of Cottonwood), and Segment 4 (upstream of Service Creek)
- Year-round on all segments of the North Fork John Day River
- Year-round for short day-trips taking place completely within Priest Hole Recreation Site (a distance of one mile between River Mile 136.5 and 137.5). Self-issue permits are obtained on-site at Priest Hole