AN ON-LINE LAUNCH PERMIT IS REQUIRED FOR ALL TRIPS.
General Permit Information
- An online launch permit is required and available HERE to boat all river segments year-round on the mainstem John Day downstream of Kimberly, and the North Fork downstream of Dale.
- For 2014, all river segments and launch dates are unlimited. Permits to launch between May 20 & July 10 in Segments 1, 2 & 3 will be available in April.
- In 2014, a non-refundable launch fee is due when a permit reservation is made for trips entering the Wild and Scenic River section (Service Creek to Tumwater Falls; Segments 1-3) between May 20 and July 10. The fee is $20 per overnight trip per group, and $10 per day-use trip per group. All fees collected will be used directly on the river to help keep launch sites and river campsites clean.
- One launch permit is issued per group, with a maximum group size of 16 persons.
- Each permit authorizes the trip leader to launch on a specific date in a specific river segment; once a permit is reserved, dates and segments are not changeable.
- A trip leader may list one alternate trip leader at the time of reservation.
- The trip leader or alternate is required to be present on the entire trip and may be requested to show permit and photo ID during the trip.
- Each person may be named as a trip leader or an alternate trip leader on a maximum of one overnight and three day-use permits at a time.
- The minimum age for a trip leader or alternate trip leader is 13 years.
- All permits are issued on-line as they become available; there is no lottery, no waiting list, and no permits are issued by phone. For assistance please click here to contact the Prineville BLM or call 541-416-6700.
- A launch permit and fee are not required when boating a distance of less than 100 yards upstream or downstream of the launch point, or to cross the river to the opposite bank.
- Priest Hole Exception: For short day-trips taking place completely within Priest Hole Recreation Site (a distance of one mile between River Mile 136.5 and 137.5), free unlimited self-issue paper permits may be obtained at Priest Hole.
To get at permit you will need:
- Desired launch point and launch date
- Desired take-out point and date
- Name, address, and birthdate of trip leader and alternate (if listing an alternate)
- Vehicle license plate number at take-out (may be updated at the launch)
- Credit Card to pay launch fee
How to get a permit:
- Step 1 - Go to www.blm.gov/or/permit at any time to create a Customer Account.
- Step 2 - Log-in, Check the calendar for availability and Apply for a permit online.
- Step 3 - Confirm your permit online between 10 and 30 days before your trip (we will send you two reminder notices).
- Step 4 - Print your permit and present it at the launch point with a photo ID.
Notice: For 2014, all river segments and launch dates are unlimited.
Limited Seasons and Segments
NORMALLY, PERMITS ARE LIMITED TO LAUNCH:
- May 20 to July 10 in Segment 2 and 3, for both day-use and overnight trips (applies to trips launching between Service Creek and Cottonwood, or floating past Service Creek from upstream within this date range).
- See the available launches per day table for limited segments.
Unlimited Seasons and Segments
NORMALLY, PERMITS ARE UNLIMITED TO LAUNCH:
- July 11 to May 19 in Segment 2 and 3 (between Service Creek and Cottonwood)
- Year-round in Segment 1 (downstream of Cottonwood), and Segment 4 (upstream of Service Creek)
- Year-round on all segments of the North Fork John Day River
- Year-round for short day-trips taking place completely within Priest Hole Recreation Site (a distance of one mile between River Mile 136.5 and 137.5). Self-issue permits are obtained on-site at Priest Hole