. .



John Day River

An online launch permit is required year-round and available here to boat all sections of the Mainstem downstream of Spray. Permits to boat upstream of Spray are encouraged and available here and at launch points. The number of launch permits issued in 2018 will not be limited, so it is not necessary to obtain your permit until close to your launch date. Once issued, don't forget to confirm your permit between 10 and 30 days prior to your trip. Permit fees are non-refundable. NOTICES: THIRTYMILE LAUNCH ACCESS Will BE CLOSED Dec. 1- Apr. 15, for an update please copy and paste this link into your browser: https://www.blm.gov/or/permit/application/content/guides/thirtymile-2018-talking-points.pdf STARVATION LANE launch is currently OPEN; The River Toilet Dump Station at Cottonwood is Unusable - please make alternate plans

Rules For Using the River Permit Application

Scroll down to accept and continue.

Important Permit Information

  • A permit is issued to launch on a specific date in a specific segment; once issued, dates and segments are not changeable and permit is non-refundable
  • One launch permit is needed per group; maximum group size is 16 persons
  • The Trip Leader or Alternate is required to be present on the entire trip and may be requested to show permit and photo ID during the trip
  • Human waste must be carried out in an approved portable toilet system
  • No wood or charcoal fires are allowed from June 1 to September 30. When allowed, fires must be contained in a metal firepan and all ashes carried out

Privacy Act

The Privacy Act and 43 CFR 2.48(d) require that you be furnished the following information in connection with the information requested by this form.

  • Authority: 43 U.S.C. 1201; 43 CFR Group 2930
  • Principal Purpose: BLM will use your information to determine whether or not to issue you a Special Recreation Permit. BLM will use some of the information to determine your qualifications for the permit and other information to determine the merits of your proposal.
  • Routine Uses: BLM will disclose the information in accordance with the regulations at 43 CFR 2.56(d).
  • Effect of Not Providing Information: Disclosing the information is necessary to receive a benefit. Not disclosing the information may result in BLM rejecting your application.
  • Paperwork Reduction Act: The Paperwork Reduction Act requires us to inform you that the BLM will use the information to determine whether or not to issue you a Special Recreation Permit. Response to this request is required to obtain the benefit of receiving a Special Recreation Permit.

You do not have to respond to this or any other Federal agency-sponsored information collection unless it displays a valid OMB control number.

I do not agree