Molalla River-Table Rock Recreation Area Management Plan
Since 2008, the Salem District has been working with a variety of stakeholders to develop an appropriate management strategy for the Molalla River-Table Rock recreation area. Located southeast of the city of Molalla, Oregon in the Cascade Mountains, the recreation area is a popular destination for swimming, camping, fishing, hiking, horseback riding, boating and biking. It includes approximately 27,000 acres of public land and hosts between 60,000 and 70,000 visitors annually.
Final Molalla River-Table Rock Recreation Area Management Plan Released
The Bureau of Land Management has made a final decision and issued a final Recreation Area Management Plan for the Molalla River-Table Rock recreation area. The Plan articulates a strategy for the management of recreation resources within the planning area for the next 15 years.
The final Management Plan includes detailed direction for the management of overnight use, day use, trails, visitor information and administration. It also lays out specific development projects and management actions that may be taken during the 15 year lifespan of the plan. Major actions include:
- Construction of three campgrounds (Cedar Grove, Three Bears, and Pine Creek)
- Improvement to day use and river access, including two day use recreation sites
- Changes to the Molalla River Trail System including new trails and management policies
- Enhanced visitor information including river interpretation
- Restoration of sites impacted by past recreation use
The Management Plan establishes the following recreation "niche" for the area, which identifies its role in the regional recreation market:
The Molalla River-Table Rock recreation area provides diverse opportunities for river-based recreation, minimally-developed camping and high quality trail activities along a forested river corridor. Rustic facilities and easy river access allow for a relatively primitive recreation experience within 10 miles of rural communities and 60 miles of urban population centers.
BLM's Table Rock Wilderness
- Description: The Table Rock Wilderness of Oregon is located in the Molalla River Corridor and covers 6000 acres of protected land managed by the BLM of Oregon.
- Alternate Video: If the player to the left doesn't work, view the YouTube version.
For more information about planning in the Molalla River-Table Rock Special Recreation Management Area:
Traci Meredith, Salem District Outdoor Recreation Planner
E-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org or call: 503-315-5991