Winnemucca Nevada
Black Rock Desert-High Rock Canyon Emigrant Trails National Conservation Area
Print Page

Image of Winnemucca District sign with Special Recreation Permit text
Black Rock-High Rock NCA Logo

When the Pavement Ends, the Experience Begins --   Protect - Respect - Survive




Management Plan

Visitor Information


Emigrant Trails


Off-Highway Vehicles

Natural History


Science & Research



Post-Use Reporting

Post-use reporting is required to document use and/or gross income for each event or activity that takes place as part of your permitted use. The information provided in the post-use report is used to calculate the use fees associated with your permit. There are different requirements depending on which type of SRP you have. Post-use reporting is required by stipulation for all SRPs and is generally due within 30 after the last day of permit activity. 

Choose the appropriate permit category to find information about post-use reporting:

  • Commercial Outfitters – Click here for a commercial SRP post-use report form. 
    • Outfitters and guides who are conducting several trips throughout the season must submit their post-use along with the Trip Log or Master Guide/Client Record (if hunting or fishing) within 30 days after their last permit activity (i.e. guide trip) or by Dec 31 annually. Post-use reports must be accompanied by a Trip Log
    • Permits authorized for a single trip or event must submit a post-use report within 30 days after the last day of permit activities, unless specifically authorized otherwise by the BLM. 
  • Competitive and Organized Groups – Click here for a competitive/organized group post use report form.
    • Competitive and Organized SRP holders must submit a post-use report within 30 days following the end of permit activities. 

Not sure what type of permit you have or are requesting? Click here for more information.

Individual Trip Plans

Individual Trip Plans are required for all commercial guides and outfitters prior to conducting permit activities. The trip plans describe the location, duration and type of use that will be conducted. 

Trip Logs

Trip logs are required with the submission a post-use report for commercial outfitters. The trip log is very important for commercial outfitter and guide businesses who are claiming deductions for use of non-federal lands. 

Special Recreation Permit Fees

All Special Recreation Permits are subject to use fees. The minimum annual, non-refundable permit fee for all types of SRPs is $105.00, which is required at the time of application.  Additional fees are required for most permitted users. Use fees are based on different fee schedules dependent on the type of SRP. 

Fee Structure by Permit Type:

  • Commercial Permit Fees – Commercial SRP fees are equal to 3% of gross income generated by the permit. Gross income includes all sources of revenue collected during the permit period. For large scale activities that require more than 50 hours of BLM staff time, cost recovery of actual expenses incurred by the government is also required. 
  • Competitive and Organized Group Permit Fees - Competitive and Organized Group Fees are equal to $5 per/person, per/day. In cases where a competitive event charges entry fees, the fee will be based on the per/person rate or 3% of gross receipts, whichever is greater. 
  • Cost Recovery - For any permit activity that requires more than 50 hours of BLM labor to process and administer the permit, the permittee will be responsible for cost recovery of all actual costs incurred to the government. Be sure to discuss as many details as possible with the Outdoor Recreation Planner during your pre-application consultation. The time spent prior to submitting a permit application does not apply toward the 50 hour threshold. 

Insurance Requirements

Insurance is required for most SRPs. Consult with the Outdoor Recreation Planner regarding the required levels of insurance. The table below shows the levels of insurance required for various types of permit proposals:

SRP Event or Activity
Per Occurrence
Per Annual Aggregate
Low Risk: General non-competitive and non-commerical activities such as group camping, group activities, mounted orienteering, backpacking, or dog trials. 
Moderate Risk: hunting/fishing, whitewater boating, horse endurance rides, OHV events, mountain bike races, rock climbing (with ropes), ultra light outings, rodeos. 
High Risk: bungee jumping, speed record events, unaided rock climbing, heli-skiing, or aviation assisted activities. 
$2,000,000 -

NOTE: Higher levels of insurance may be required at the Field Manager’s discretion for events or activities that have unique or high risks. Some small scale organized group activities may not be required to obtain insurance.  


In addition to the conditions and stipulations listed on the back of the SRP application form 2930-1, most activities require compliance with special permit stipulations. Permittees are required to understand and comply with permit stipulations and will be held responsible for violations. Violations may be ground for permit termination, probation or other administrative repercussions. The following are examples of permit stipulations for various events and activities:

Hobby Rocket Launching
High Altitude Rocket Launches
Commercial Outfitter and Guide Operations
Land Sailing Competitions  
Burning Man Event
Commercial Filming 
Competitive Motorized Events 

Last updated: 12-03-2015